Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt cruiser 2004 engine trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2009, 01:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default pt cruiser 2004 engine trouble

help! I have a 2004 cruiser...62K. Last fall it just stalled out, wouldn't start and had to be towed to service. Shop (not dealer) diagnosed fuel pump and replace to no avail, replaced again still not right. They transferred it to a dealer service who then ordered a computer part and replaced the pump yet again. Ran ok for awhile, slight hesitation at quick acceleration from stop (ie merging with fast moving traffic). I had the engine tuned and the spark plug wires replaced. Since then I have been driving mostly my husbands car- have only put 3K on the car in 8 months. Started driving it more again last month. This week the car wants to stall in idle upon starting. Seems a little better if gas pedal lightly depressed but I am afraid to even drive it around the block for fear of stalling and not starting again. any thoughts??thanks
Old 22 Apr 2009, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pt cruiser 2004 engine trouble

The IAC (Idle Air Controller) might be clogged up or bad. It's located behind and attached to the Throttle Body. It can be taken off and cleaned or just replaced.

Old 22 Apr 2009, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Could be lots of things, but I would not have suspected the gas pump...
In my case, on both my '02 and '05 PTs, the stumble went away with new plugs gapped at 0.040 and good (NOT stock) ignition wires. I know you said you had them replaced, but if it were my PT, that's where I'd start.
Oh, and welcome here.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Apr 2009, 08:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Is the Check Engine light on?

First thing I'd do would be to replace the sparkplugs (gap at 0.040 despite any underhood label saying 0.050) - and wires.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Chrysler dealer (not where I bought car so I don't know them)
service tech says I need a new ignition coil and
recommends new spark pugs and wires (plugs and wires replaced 3k ago) to the tune of $528

any thoughts?? thanks!!
Old 30 Apr 2009, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, keep your money in your pocket and stay away from the people you've been talking to. Damn, $528 for coil, plugs and wires; I think I'll start advertising to do tune ups in my garage, $140 for parts and $388 for labor.

Your probably better off taking it to any certified shop and pay for a engine diagnostic. That will rule out the plugs, wires and coil but at least (hopefully) they won't throw parts at it at your expense. They should be able to show if there a pacific part that's not doing it's job.

If you don't know where to take it, ask around for recommendations or visit one of the cruise-ins in your area and ask some of the owners.

Also, if you fill in your profile, we or someone reading this can see where your located and maybe point you in the right direction.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 12:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Chrysler dealer (not where I bought car so I don't know them)
service tech says I need a new ignition coil and
recommends new spark pugs and wires (plugs and wires replaced 3k ago) to the tune of $528
For starters - thats a lot of money for that work. THe parts are very cheap but its a decent amount of labor.

Aftermarket OEM coil is prbably around $35, a new set of copper plugs is about $2 each ($8) and the wire set (OEM) is about $35 too. So less than $100 for replacement OEM parts. Just so ya know.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks to everyone for help so far...

I live in Scottsdale, AZ.
2004 PT, 62K mileose
The quote ($528) is from the closest Chrysler service dept( not where I bought the car)- I think it includes the $107 diagnostic test fee

Even so I thought it was a lot of $ !!

Now I am waiting for the rep to call me back so I can get the diagnostic codes.
Unfortunately the car ran worst ever when we drove it the 5 mi to the closest dealer. My husband said he had to keep on the gas pedal most of the way so it wouldn't stall.

A few weeks ago I had the oil changed at the dealer where I bought the car, ...this is when the engine only had a sputter. I asked for a buy bid at that time (my husband thinks the car is a lemon and doesn't want to sink money into to it) and they said they would give me $2000 for it. Now I have a friend
who is willing to buy it at that price as is... but I am afraid to lose a friend, even if we agree the car is as is!

Thoughts? thanks!