Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Short Block

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2009, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Short Block

Is there any difference in the 2.4 Turbo High Output short block and the short block used in the other PT engine options.

I just had a new short block installed in a 2006 PT w/high output turbo 2.4. because of end play in the crank which pushed out the front seal.

I would like to be sure my replacement engine is the same as I had (doesn't seem as responsive)
Old 24 Apr 2009, 06:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: New Short Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Is there any difference in the 2.4 Turbo High Output short block and the short block used in the other PT engine options.

I just had a new short block installed in a 2006 PT w/high output turbo 2.4. because of end play in the crank which pushed out the front seal.

I would like to be sure my replacement engine is the same as I had (doesn't seem as responsive)
All PT turbo short blocks are the same. The na PT short block has weaker internals than a PT turbo short block.

Not as responsive? Check for boost leaks. Zip tie all vacuum lines and use T bolt clamps on the intercooler hoses.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 24 Apr 2009, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any way from the outside to tell the difference in a na PT block and Turbo block? Will all the bolt on stuff work with either block?

A dealer installed the new short block and I don't have any reason to doubt his claim that a "high output" block was used; just wanted to be sure

Thanks again
Old 24 Apr 2009, 09:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Is there any way from the outside to tell the difference in a na PT block and Turbo block? Will all the bolt on stuff work with either block?

A dealer installed the new short block and I don't have any reason to doubt his claim that a "high output" block was used; just wanted to be sure

Thanks again
A na block can't handle any more than 8 lbs of boost and stock boost on a GT is 13 lbs so they'd be cutting their own throats if they used a na block.

Old 24 Apr 2009, 11:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Model year 2006--can we assume that this is a warranty repair?

If assumption is correct; the following applies:

1. In order to paid for the repair by Chrysler all the parts used must be new or remanufactured to factory specification and correct for the vehilce as built by Chrysler will all revisions current.

2. All warranty repairs that you do not participate in, that is you do not contribute $$$$ to, do not increase the lenght of the original warranty period.

If the repair was performed by one of the numerous unqestionably honest independents and paid for a thrid party service contract or individaul--I would ask to see the invoice for the short block and contact the wholesaler for all the particulars as to the short block source and particulars.

Many third party service contracts state in their contracts that repair parts are provide in like condition---that is your block is 2 years old--they can provide a botuique (junkyard) engine of the same type, age and mileage.

If Chrysler paid for it--you got the correct item.

How was your repair funded?
Old 25 Apr 2009, 05:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

New engine might just need to loosen up (wear in a bit).
Hope you put synthetic in that turbo...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Apr 2009, 08:50 am
Cool Cruiser

The turbo short block has lower compression pistons due to the turbo boost, and that is why you don't have the same power. The N/A PT has around 9.2 and the turbo is around 8.1:1.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 10:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

BLUEH20 -

The repair work was done at a (large) genuine Dodge-Chrysler dealership. Although the car was OUT of warranty (48k+ vs 36k warranty) I worked with Chrysler Customer Support and the dealer's service department and they agreed to replace the engine as if it was a warranty repair less about a 30% "customer deductible" - a deal in which they went much further than "legally" required and with which I was quite pleased.

Based on your reply, it seems I can rest easy that the short block that went in was the same caliber as what was in the car originally (the service manager told me the new motor would have a 12 mo/12k mile guarantee).

Thanks for the comforting information.

Regarding the oil, the invoice says "5 qt VV1740 Vavoline" I'll check to see just what that is.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 12:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblueGT View Post
The turbo short block has lower compression pistons due to the turbo boost, and that is why you don't have the same power. The N/A PT has around 9.2 and the turbo is around 8.1:1.
If he had a na block he would have blown it up already.