PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

How to reset Security.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2009, 12:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Default How to reset Security.....

Bought a 2004 Pt Cruiser that had a small engine fire. Got everything back together and got ready to start it up. Nothing, engine won't even crank. I can jump the starter and it will. Then I remembered that the drivers window was broken out, apparently by the fire department after the couldn't get the hood open by jabbing a bar into the AC Condensor. Window $35, AC Condensor $100+. Breaking and Entering apparently sets off the immobilizer system. Now, I can't do anything. The security light is on along with the check engine and airbag light. They go off initially but after 20 seconds chime and come back on. Is there any way to reset this without having to go to the dealer. I have 2 keys and a remote. I would really like to get this going.

Thanks,
Craig
501-538-4151
Old 26 Apr 2009, 07:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to reset Security.....

The owners manual doesn't really address your problem. At least mine says nothing about resetting it. It does say that an invalid key will trigger the alarm. Have you tried reprogramming the keys?

The No#10 fuse in the engine compartment covers the alarm, but if you pull that you also lose exterior lighting and anything to do with the remote keyless entry.

You said the engine light comes on. When that light comes on, a code it set into the computer. Maybe that code can give you an idea of what's wrong.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 26 Apr 2009, 08:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Nope, nope and nope.

Both keys are good. They both operate both the ignition and doors. Key fob lock the door except the drivers door. It won't lock or unlock, a maybe back actuator. Panic works.

I don't know how to reprogram the keys. Is this something I an do at home or is it a dealer thing. I've heard of a process that works but don't know what that is.

If I pull the #10 fuse won't that be the same as tripping the alarm? I'll try it. If I can at least get it started and to the dealer 7 miles away I'd be happy.

The engine light, Air Bag and ABS light are all part of the security system going off what what I understand. I have an Autoxray 5000 scanner and it won't connect, probably because of the security issue. I have tried the key method and still nothing. I have tried holding done the odometer thing, gauges function properly, no codes either.

Send me an email on the key thing if you would, I don't get notifications to replies here. h20tension@yahoo.com, make sure to copy and paste.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 26 Apr 2009, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Owners manual tells how to program the keys. To pull the code, you turn the key to on, off, on, off and on, a code or DONE will show up in the odometer.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Apr 2009, 08:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Okay, I tried the #10 fuse, didn't work. I have already done the key switch check thing, nothing. Called Chrysler, they said the only way to reset the security/immobilizer was to bring it in. Supposedly it takes about an hour @ $95/hour. I have had them do keys and it takes all of 15 minutes.

I am looking at getting a DRB III box. Does anyone know if that has the capabilities to reset the immobilizer?

Thanks
Old 10 Jun 2014, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does the 2001 PT have a security system ? I have it at the tranny shop and they called telling me that it wont start (funny it started when I bought it to them)...I just put a grand into the engine and took it down the road and it would not shift out of low gear (Auto tranz)...so I limped it up there a few days later (which means it started for me) but now they say the cant get it to star......Any help would be nice.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you have the key with the think gray end on it, yes, there's a chip in it. If you try and start the engine with the proper coded key, it will only run for a couple seconds. If they are saying it won't even try and start, that's something else.

If you having problems with the shifter, it might be that the car isn't recognizing that it's in PARK or NEUTRAL where it has to be to start unless it's a stick shift and the clutch neutral safety switch isn't working.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 10 Jun 2014, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The shop should have a code for you that will help! No need to start the engine. It simply may be a problem with your TCM. If they do not have a Transmission code reader than it may have not been the best shop to have originally taken to. Look for a P07hundred numbers.

ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
MODS http://ptcruisernetwork.com/forum/in...opic,16.0.html
Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other SO the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 05:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

the security/immobilizer is reset by the dealer. If it is triggered I believe there is a small round red light in the cluster that stays on or comes on after it sensens the wrong key after three tries.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K
Cruiser 03 133K
Cruiser 06 110K Project

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh