Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
i need to tow my boat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2009, 04:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default i need to tow my boat

I have a 2006 pt cruiser touring i have a 16 ft sea ray, sea rayderit weights 1250 pounds do you think i could tow with this car in and out of the boat ramps thanks
Old 29 Apr 2009, 05:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: i need to tow my boat

According to the owners manual, the limit is supposed to be 1000 lbs. Is your 1250 include the trailer?
Old 29 Apr 2009, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No it does not the trailer is small probully about 500 pounds
Old 29 Apr 2009, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, now your up to 1750. Someone once said the reason the PT is limited to 1000 lbs is because the hitch that Chrysler sells for the PT limits the amount of towing, so if you put on a stronger hitch, the towing capacity increases. Sounds like you need need to get a stronger hitch than the standard one from the dealer.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of towing things with the PT will come along and give you a more definitive answer.
Old 01 May 2009, 05:35 am
Young Cruiser

I would not recommend the Chrysler hitch. Check out JC Whitney online. Pick up a "Hidden Hitch" trailer hitch. The tongue weight is 200 pounds and the towing capacity is 2,000lbs. I tow a trailer when my son and I go camping and I'm pulling about 1,400lbs and have had NO problems.

I purchased the "Hidden Hitch" from JC Whitney, it arrived in 2 days, and it took me about 30 minutes to install it without even having to jack up the vehicle. There is some minor drilling (2 holes) and that's the hardest part. You will of course need a univesal wiring kit for the lights.
Old 01 May 2009, 09:45 am
Regular Cruiser

A class 1 hitch is all that you can put on a PT safely, it will handle a 200 lb TW and 2000 lb GTW and that should handle your boat. The one thing you didn't say is your PT an Automatic or 5-speed? If you’re PT Cruiser is an automatic I would recommend a transmission cooler be added and always change the fluid earlier then Chrysler recommends for an automatic. The extra weight will overheat an automatic transmission quickly in summer temps.

On a 5-speed (Chrysler recommends changing the fluid at 75000 miles if you pull a trailer) I would do it a lot earlier then Chrysler says.

I have added a hitch to every car that I have owned in the past 15 years and have found that if I check around I can usually get one put on with wiring included for not much moor then I can buy one and put it on myself. On my Pt the hitch cost me $180.00 plus tax installed and that included the wiring hooked up.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 01 May 2009, 12:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy6101 View Post
I have a 2006 pt cruiser touring i have a 16 ft sea ray, sea rayderit weights 1250 pounds do you think i could tow with this car in and out of the boat ramps thanks
I'm thinking boat 1250lbs, trailer 600-800lbs, plus fuel, yourself and other guests, party supplies, so you're going to have a minimum of at least 2500 lbs of weigh and probably closer to 3000lbs to tow, nope i wouldn't do it.

Last edited by luvmysxs; 01 May 2009 at 12:49 pm.
Old 01 May 2009, 01:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hey murphy.
As a guy who trailers a boat all over the country for so many years your weight of arond 2000 lbs is really pushing it.A stronger hitch is not your only issue.Since i dont see where your from or how far it is to your local ramp.Is the land flat or hilly.Towing capacitys are base on many factors like the pt is rated not to carry more than 865 pounds total weight and a tow of 1000 lbs.if your boat comes in at 2,000 lbs a trailer tougue of 10 % max that only gives you 600 lbs left over in the car.also the most important factor not yet mentioned is brakes.There a major issue in determening towing stats.Since you have a single axle trailer ,theres not brakes on it . If your going a few miles then yes, if your on the highway i would not.I personaly would not tow anything over 800 lbs behing my gt pt.
Hope it helps
Old 02 May 2009, 10:40 am
Cool Cruiser

If you put an auxillary transmission cooler on your car, it shouldn't be an issue. My wife's car is a 626, which has a known weak auto tranny. It's only rated to tow 1,000 lbs. I've towed a 3,000 lb trailer cross country 3 times when moving. Chicago-Vegas, Vegas-Chicago, Chicago-Seattle. Car's got over 100K miles, and tranny still going strong, even though this tranny is known to have trouble getting past 70K miles.

The key is a tranny cooler and frequent fluid changes. I put the auxillary cooler on with only 6,000 miles on the car, and I've done a fluid drain/fill about every 9,000 miles since I've owned it. Also make sure you manually drop it out of 4th into lower gears when going over hilly terrain. Over mountainous terrain (like in the Rockies or Cascades) you may even have to manually put it into 2nd and keep your RPM's up. Letting your tranny automatically hunt for gears while towing can confuse the computer and can fry your tranny. The first time I towed with my car, I let it shift on its own and I had to get my fresh tranny fluid changed in the middle of Oklahoma (after only 1,000 miles) because the fluid started smoking (suspect it was boiling)and it changed colors. Once I started shifting manually after that incident, never had a problem with the tranny while towing again (5,000 more miles towing since then).