PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Bogging down from standstill.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2009, 09:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bogging down from standstill.

So, along with a slew of other problems, my wife's car now has a bogging problem.

When you're sitting at a light, then take off, occasionally the engine will bog. You can have your foot to the floor and the rev limiter will bounce, even though you're only pushing 2K rpm. Sometimes it doesn't kick in and it just sloooooowly brings itself out of the bog.

Does this sound like a MAP sensor problem? I'm not always getting a light with this problem, so it's kind of puzzling.
Old 01 May 2009, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bogging down from standstill.

When was the last time the plugs and wires were changed, also the air filter.

You say your not always getting a light ...but you are sometimes?? What is the code that's on the computer?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 01 May 2009, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

77K miles or so, Plug wires were changed about 2 months ago, plugs were changed a month ago with the correct dealer plugs. Air filter was a little longer back, but it's still pretty clean. I pulled the valve cover off, replaced the gasket. I've also replaced the ignition a while back but put the old one back on as it had no effect. Cleaned the IAC, throttle body plate, rings in the intake plenum. Took the MAP sensor off, cleaned the oring, even used the gasket sealer on the mating faces to ensure a good seal. Mounted upside down by accident, but don't think that matters.

This car also has a bad idle and I think the high speed fan motor is gone, but this problem happens without the AC being on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
When was the last time the plugs and wires were changed, also the air filter.

You say your not always getting a light ...but you are sometimes?? What is the code that's on the computer?
Old 01 May 2009, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like you covered all the bases. When a few of us had bogging from idle problems, a change to a more free flow air filter cleared it. It was starving for more air at full throttle upon take-off.

From PT Do-It-Yourself.net here's a way of checking the MAP sensor.

I have a 2001 LE PT with 60k miles. After changing the plugs and installing new upper intake gaskets, I am now receiving a DTC P0108. I checked to make sure all of the hoses were reconnected, all of the sensors are plugged in, the EGR line is hooked up and manifold is torqued to spec. After all of that, I tried to start the motor and it would start but immediately die after a couple of tries, I added gas slowly until it would stay running when I started it. It finally would idle by itself. I took it for a test run and upon hard acceleration it would hesitate then surge until I let off and then it would smooth out. I can slowly accelerate with no problem. Can the sensor need replacing or am I totally missing something? - Edmond, from Illinois.

P0108 Map Sensor Voltage Too High - MAP sensor input above maximum acceptable voltage.

There are several potential causes for this DTC, however the most obvious place to begin would be to check the MAP sensor. If you're following procedure outlined in the OE service manual, the MAP sensor is disconnected during the plug change. Make sure it is reconnected correctly and or damaged. The MAP sensor measures the air pressure in the manifold. I'm told you can test it; if the PT won't start, with the ignition key in the off position, simply unplug the electrical connection from the MAP sensor. If the vehicle starts, you have faulty sensor or connection.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 01 May 2009, 12:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Innnnnteresting. I'll check that when the wife gets back on Sunday.

FREE WEEKEND FOR ME, WOO!

Oh, and I also replaced both O2 sensors, so the MAP and the air filter will be what I hit next.

Hey, by the way, would an ECM flash be in order if this doesn't clear it up?
Old 01 May 2009, 12:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can call or stop by your local dealer with your VIN and they should be able to tell if you have the latest update.
Old 01 May 2009, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sweet, thanks!
Old 04 May 2009, 09:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Called the stealership, fan control module is........... $320!!!!!

I don't know that it's even bad, but if it were cheap, I'd replace it regardless just to strike it off the list.
Old 04 May 2009, 11:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Have you checked for codes?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 04 May 2009, 11:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

I believe it is lit up, I'll have to pull them when the wife gets home.

I want to say one of them was an O2 sensor one, even though I've replaced them both, and it runs perfectly fine so long as it's not sitting still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Cruzer View Post
Have you checked for codes?