Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 PT with p0340 and p0344 need help.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2009, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 PT with p0340 and p0344 need help.

Hi
My wife had been having problems with her 2.4 non turbo PT Cruiser so I pulled the codes and it listed p0340 Camshaft Senosr. So yesterday I installed a new cam sensor(however it did not have a new target magnet in the box)It was just the sensor. So I replaced it. Now today it is showing the p0340 code and p0344 yet it is running fine and has no problems starting.
Any ideas?
Old 03 May 2009, 03:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 PT with p0340 and p0344 need help.

Did you clear the old codes before you read the new ones? Take the negative battery cable off for about 5 minutes, that clears the old codes.
Old 04 May 2009, 08:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the lapse in answering you.Yes I did that.But after a drive when I returned the codes were there. I did it again today.Unhooked Neg. cable 10 minutes hooked it back up.Started it and took it for a ride came back checked the codes and all are gone except the new one that showed up after changing the cam sensor p0344.
Maybe a defective cam sensor?
Old 04 May 2009, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Possibly, but let me clear something up. You disconnected the negative battery cable and after reconnecting it, you checked for codes and have none. Take it for a ride and the "check engine" light comes on again and after checking the codes, the P0344 shows up again? Right?

In other words, you made sure all the codes were cleared before going for a ride and the "engine" light showed up again.
Old 04 May 2009, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No not exactly like that. I checked codes and both were there.I unhooked batt. then waited ten minutes.Hooked it back up. Started it and went for a ride. Check engine came on I drove home shut it off then checked the codes and came up with the one p0344. In exactly that order.
Old 04 May 2009, 09:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just wanted to make sure you got rid of all the old codes. It might be like you said a bad sensor but I'd check all the wiring. Trace it as best you can from the sensor to wherever it goes.
Old 06 May 2009, 08:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK I traced the Cam sensor wires. I pulled the three wires out of the plastic wire protector and traced them until they merged with a larger mass of wires.
No problems with any of the three wires.Good strong contact bewteen plug and sensor.
I even drove over to autozone(where I bought the Delco sensor) Ofcourse they would not have anymore in stock till Fri. Counter guy came out with scanner pulled the same code p0344 then cleared it.Told me if it came back on to came back Friday to exchange for new sensor.Engine light came on even before I was out of the lot.Got home checked codes and yup p0344 only code there. Manger at autozone said we are not giving the OBD enough time to read the new sensor.Said we needed to drive it for a while till the OBD detects the new part. Myself and the counter guy that went out to the car both disagreed with him.That if the codes are cleared they should stay cleared unless there is still a problem.Was he right and us wrong?
It is really troubling me.To have a code p0340, change the part clear codes have p0340 vanish but have a p0344 show up after the new part.
Old 06 May 2009, 08:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think you are right, the new part should clear it right away but I have no more advise except to try a new part but you might have to pay a new price for it.

Something else that someone said awhile back after buying a part that didn't work from an auto store, always get a genuine Chrysler part. I sure can't say weather that will actually cure it, but it may be worth the extra money from Chrysler to make sure your getting the right part.
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 01 Sep 2009, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am having a similar issue. My car had the codes p0340 and p0344 so I went to Pepboys and bought a new camshaft sensor made by BWD. I installed it while the negative was removed from the battery. When I started it the check engine light was off and all seemed fine. However, once i reved the motor over 2000 RPM the check engine light came back on. I checked the code and this time it only returned the p0344 code. I checked the wires and they are good to go. I have an OEM Mopar part on its way so we will see if that resolves the issue. I have looked for the crankshaft sensor but it is hard to find. I was told it was under the starter when looking from above yet the service manual says it's on the other side of the motor above the oil pan. I have a 2003 PT. By the way I didn't use a torque wrench to install the new sensor, does anyone think that may be an issue?
Old 01 Sep 2009, 09:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My 2003 Pt just had both sensors replaced( it thru code P0340) the mechanic suggested to change both crank & cam sensors. The cam is easy to get to...crank is under car (he put on lift) Chrysler paid for both after calling-dealer though needs to read codes!---- I paid labor-I have 73K miles....I think they got a bunch of bad sensors.shouldnt go that quick..I think Chrysler knows it! Good luck-mine actually runs better on road now.