Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
control arm bushings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 May 2009, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default control arm bushings?

Hi I'am a newbie here. I have a 2003 PT I was recently flunked on my state inspection. The shop said I have bad lower control arm bushings (rear ones on the front control arms) Has anybody replaced theirs? 2 differen't auto parts stores said these were a dealer only part.-thanks
Old 05 May 2009, 11:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: control arm bushings?

Welcome to the Forum nhdriver,
I have a 05 convertible and I just replaced them on mine plus I just looked up the bushing part number on both 03 and 05 and they are the same part number. So to answer your question yes most any shop can replace them. They have to use a press to get them out and installed and use the same tools it takes to replace the ball joints. I removed the control arms myself and took them to a shop I use and they replaced both bushings and ball joints that I supplied them with and charged me $54.00 to install everything. The control arms will have to come out to do the work so I would suggest that you go ahead and replace the ball joints too. I decided to do the job myself because the labor on just replacing just the ball joints was going to be between $300 and $400 not including the parts. I spent $30.00 on 2 bushings and $70.00 on 2 ball joints plus the $54.00 having them installed. Good Luck NAPA Auto Parts and Advance Auto Parts sell these parts.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.

Last edited by Decsr; 05 May 2009 at 11:54 pm.
Old 06 May 2009, 12:09 pm
Young Cruiser

what i did was order complete control arms off of e-bay before removing the old control arms, includes new control arms, front and rear bushing and ball joint, cost was appox. around $140 for both sides, while i was at it i also installed new outer tie rods at the same time, so it ended up costing me less than $175 with shipping, pretty simple job to do, takes about an hour each side,
Old 06 May 2009, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. One of the places I checked for the bushings was a Napa store they told me it was a dealer item. Are the entire control arms commonly available on ebay? were the ones you bought new or used -Thanks
Old 06 May 2009, 04:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. One of the places I checked for the bushings was a Napa store they told me it was a dealer item. Are the entire control arms commonly available on ebay? were the ones you bought new or used -Thanks
of course they're new with lifetime warranty, i did notice today e-bay price has increased somewhat, but for me it worked out great, i live in the boom docks, so it was easy for me just to R&R. if you decide to replace them yourself you will need a torque wrench capable of torquing 185 foot pounds, other than that from a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most difficult i'll give it a 3 maybe a 4. also e-bay has just the control arm bushing from energy suspension for $38.00 plus shipping, to remove you old bushing just take a propane tourch and burn the bushing out, this takes about 15-20 minutes per side, but its pretty easy, just make sure to do it outside, i did it on my old control arms when i had nothing to do, then just clean them up a little and install the new bushing,
Old 06 May 2009, 08:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

NAPA Does have these parts, look NAPA up on line and get the part number, then tell your NAPA dealer what they can get for you If you decide to get it at NAPA.
Before buying the parts I used I looked at all the parts on E Bay and when I questioned the venders as to where the parts were made and what brand name they are I didn't like the answers I received. I am not saying the parts are bad on E Bay because my radio, full moon hubcaps, amber fog lights all came from E bay venders but on the front end parts I inquired about were names I had never heard of and all were made in China.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 08 May 2009, 09:33 am
Young Cruiser

Chrysler redesigned the bushings. As I understand it this was in response to premature wear of the old design. I can't remember which year. Both the old & new style are sold by them. Make sure you get the newer design. Part No. 17-011-017.

You will need an alignment after the work.
Old 08 May 2009, 12:23 pm
Young Cruiser

I am replacing mine now for the second time at 41000 miles
I am replacing with urethane bushings which you can get
from "AUTO TRUCK TOYS"
Full set of bushings for the PT cost $150
Labor to install was $193 including state inspection

Last edited by 04stocker; 09 May 2009 at 10:17 am.
Old 09 May 2009, 04:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

The whole kit is 125$ on the Energy Suspension website.

Free shipping to continental US