Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turn Will not turn PT 2002

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2009, 08:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turn Will not turn PT 2002

sorry if this was posted before could not find it.

When i attempt to use my Key in the ignition it will not turn at all. i have tried two different keys. It started doing this last week and changing keys seemed to have work, but not it will not. usually i kinda just slam the key in there and go didnt have an issue but now it seems to not work. I was wondering what i could do to get this fixed. could i buy a new key cyclinder with a new set of keys and replace it myself? is there a cheap fix ?
Old 07 May 2009, 09:08 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Turn Will not turn PT 2002

You are pushing the black button in. Right?
Old 07 May 2009, 09:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

black button? there is no black button to press that i am aware of. Its a automatic. i have tried tapping the key in arming dis arming the alarm the wheel is not locked.
Old 07 May 2009, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, your cylinder is most probably the culprit. Do you have a lot of "stuff" on your keyring? Sometimes the weight on the key after a period of time can damage the insides of the cylinder.

Maybe on the newer models ( or in Canada) they have the "black button" (never heard anyone talk about it before) but the 01-05 cruisers need nothing to turn over the ignition.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 May 2009 at 10:25 am.
Old 07 May 2009, 02:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Sorry 'bout that. The button I'm talking about is the one you must push to get the key out or to turn to Acc. possition. It's between the cylinder & the dash.

Last edited by Madturtle; 07 May 2009 at 03:02 pm.
Old 07 May 2009, 03:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Madturtle,

As I said, it must be a Canadian (Overseas) option as none of the U.S. PT Cruisers have such a button.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 May 2009, 03:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Old thread with a possible temp. fix.
Key will not turn
Old 07 May 2009, 03:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Madturtle,

As I said, it must be a Canadian (Overseas) option as none of the U.S. PT Cruisers have such a button.
My 05 Convertible has the same button Crewzin and it has lived its whole life in Tennessee (but I did have to go outside to see if it had one). The button is only used to remove the key or put it in acc possition.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.

Last edited by Decsr; 07 May 2009 at 03:26 pm.
Old 07 May 2009, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decsr View Post
My 05 Convertible has the same button Crewzin and it has lived its whole life in Tennessee (but I did have to go outside to see if it had one). The button is only used to remove the key or put it in acc possition.
I stand corrected. I wonder, do you happen to have a stick shift? Maybe they only put them in certain models. AH!, answered my own question when I read your signature. So maybe it's only the stick shift that has the button.

Old 07 May 2009, 07:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hi
My 5 speed has that button too. I don't believe mine has ever lived anywhere
but California

Karen