Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
locked doors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2009, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default locked doors

I recently took my '03 PT out of a 1 year storage. While not being used the car sat w/ the doors locked. When I went to use it the rear doors will not unlock, the buttons go up & down w/ the switch but still will not open. I pulled up the buttons, still won't open. I tried pulling the buttons up & down w/ needle nose pliers nothing. Any suggestions? Pulling the door panels off w/ the doors locked & closed would probably be diffacult. -Thanks
Old 07 May 2009, 10:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: locked doors

If the locks will pull up by hand then the doors should be unlocked. Try pouring hot tap water in the top of the door channel because the rubber door seal might be stuck to the inside frame, then pull like heck.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 10 May 2009, 07:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

The doors are not stuck, they are locked. Pushing the button (on the outside door handle) it is as if they are disconnected fron the mechinism in the latch.
Old 10 May 2009, 08:44 am
Cool Cruiser

IF you un-lock the doors with the button have you tried to then open the door from the outside?
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 10 May 2009, 12:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes with the rear side windows down, pulling up on the lock button,using the outside door handle (as well trying the inside handle), the doors still will not open.
Old 10 May 2009, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Around here we have a door lock service that will come to your house and work on your doors, you may want to check your area for something like that.
Good luck!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 May 2009, 04:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: locked doors

Problem solved, the locks were just plain stuck. I removed the door panels (they do come out w/ the doors closed). I then shot white spray lithium grease into the latch mechanism then forced the lock rod back & forth, then it finally unlocked. The other side was more stubborn. After getting the door open it would not latch. I had to unbolt the latch mechanism and lube it up. It now works w/ the only problem being the child lock being stuck on. I can live w/ that. Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Last edited by nhdriver; 17 May 2009 at 09:15 pm.