Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 Turbo Will crank but won't stay started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2009, 08:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 05 Turbo Will crank but won't stay started

Car will start but won't stay running, has full tank of gas. We are on vacation and do not know any place to take the car for service. We drove the car from Florida to Mississippi and it did not show any signs of problems. Sat at hotel for 10 hours, then went out to go somewhere and car wouldn't stay running for more than 3 seconds. Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
Old 17 May 2009, 08:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 05 Turbo Will crank but won't stay started

Stalls after running 3 seconds is the theft deterrant system called the SKIM Sentry Key Immobilizer Module. Watch for the Security light or symbol on the instrument cluster.
A valid transponder key is not being read my the module. A key, antenna, or module may be faulty.
If you have added any remote starters or other aftermarket electronics, I would look there 1st. The SKIM does not fail often.
Old 17 May 2009, 09:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 05 Turbo Will crank but won't stay started

Wow that could be it because we were using our spare key, which I know should work but....we are going to go try and start it with the regular set of keys! Man that would be wonderful if it works...after reading some things I was thinking maybe the timing belt but if that was broke I wouldn't think the car would even crank up which it does. I'll let you know if it works! Thanks again.
Old 17 May 2009, 09:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: 05 Turbo Will crank but won't stay started

IT WORKED, we took the regular set of keys and tried it and it started right up!!!! THANK YOU!!! You just made our vacation great!