Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wires: MSD or Bosch, etc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2009, 12:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Wires: MSD or Bosch, etc?

I'm getting ready to do our plugs and wires this weekend, and was wondering about which wires to get. Locally I can get MSD or Bosch, was wondering which is the better of the two. Or, some other choice. Not really interested in doing mail order, just something I could get at Advance/AZ/Napa/Car Quest.

I'm going to go with Champion DP #7570 plugs, unless there's something better. Car is an '04 non-turbo. Basically it's my wife's car that doesn't get hot-rodded, so no need for racing stuff, lol! Thanks.
Old 19 May 2009, 02:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Wires: MSD or Bosch, etc?

Hey Rumble,

I just installed some MSD wires with some double plat. champions and really like them so far. I would personally go with MSD over Bosch. I believe Bosch is only 7mm and MSD are 8mm or sometimes 8.5 and they are probably comparable in price. Have fun!

No Mods yet...
Old 19 May 2009, 02:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Anything's better than the Chrysler crap. Don't forget the Anti-seize on the threads of the plugs (gapped at .040in) and Dielectric grease on both ends of the plug wires.
Old 19 May 2009, 04:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvbeta View Post
Hey Rumble,

I just installed some MSD wires with some double plat. champions and really like them so far. I would personally go with MSD over Bosch. I believe Bosch is only 7mm and MSD are 8mm or sometimes 8.5 and they are probably comparable in price. Have fun!
I'll check out a set tomorrow (MSD). Thanks!

Crewzin: I'll be sure to use the anti-seize. I need to pick up some dielectric grease. Thanks for the tip!
Old 20 May 2009, 01:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

MSD, Crane or Magnecor.

Bosch are too much on the OEM side when it comes to quality.
Old 20 May 2009, 02:40 pm
Young Cruiser

The only place I could order the MSD wires was at Autozone. Got a dummy at the first AZ that was clueless, and couldn't order them. Went to Advance, NAPA and Car Quest, and all they had were el-cheapo wires (yet, too pricey for what they were). Second AZ had someone who had no problem ordering a set. Should have gone there first!

AZ didn't carry the Champion Double Platinum #7570 plugs, but I was able to order them at Advance. Sheesh, these places don't stock much of anything.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 22 May 2009, 01:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Well, I've been waiting two days for my wire order from Autozone, so I call them to find out what's going on with my wires. They tell me the "order has been cancelled" without any explanation. So now I'm back to square one, and will probably have to order something out of state. I usually try to avoid these half-a$$ McAutoparts stores, but thought this would be rather simple.
Old 22 May 2009, 04:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Maggie at Race and Street will be glad to take care of you!

Crane Fire Wires are a stock item.
Old 22 May 2009, 06:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaschief View Post
Maggie at Race and Street will be glad to take care of you!

Crane Fire Wires are a stock item.
I was kinda needing something ASAP, that's why I wasn't going to mailorder anything. The R&S site says the Crane Fanes are no longer available. In any case, I'm going to try a set of the Magstars sold through Advance. They'll be in tomorrow morning. I'm sure they're more than adequate. I bookmarked the R&S site, thanks!
Old 22 May 2009, 07:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

The Bosch premium plug wires have a life time warranty, does MSD? I have had the Bosch wires for 6 years in my 03 GT, and I am very happy with them.