Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 pt (A/C) leaking lots of water from the firewall at the ac inlet to interior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2009, 07:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 pt (A/C) leaking lots of water from the firewall at the ac inlet to interior

hi everyone
if this question has been answered i apologize in advance, but i have search this forum for the answer and found none--

yea A/C issue---the ac works fine and cold on all fan setting at first --but after awhile (10 min or so) the air slowly stops coming out at low speed but still cold--i crank the fan up all the way and and in a second it will blow again but with little particles or water drops or mist or....? (no smell) starts to come out of the vents still cold.
like its blowing out some kind of clog (no a/c vent installed) and then the low setting will work fine for a little more --then i have to repeat and so on...

when i open the hood and follow the source of the water drips (allot of drainage)from the ground up it appears to be coming from where the ac hoses go into the firewall and to the inside the car --just flowing off the collection of hoses there and onto the ground, not inside-- only outside.

this has been going on for a month or so

its like something in the system is clogging.

if the a/c button is not pushed it doesn't seem to happen
Old 20 May 2009, 09:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 06 pt (A/C) leaking lots of water from the firewall at the ac inlet to interior

More than likely your a/c system is low on freon. The evaporator is freezing up and when you turn it on high it blows the ice off. Take it to your dealer or a shop you trust and have them check the charge. Typically it's the hose from the condensor to the evaporator that leaks.
Old 21 May 2009, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 06 pt (A/C) leaking lots of water from the firewall at the ac inlet to interior

thanks--

i can't seem to find an after market repair manual for this car---any suggestions

sh*t---found it

thanks

well not quite--more like explain how to do it type manual

Last edited by steveohb; 21 May 2009 at 04:50 pm.
Old 21 May 2009, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok kids

it never gets warm---at all --i believe that the evaporator is freezing up as is stated in the previous post, but isn't there a switch that's supposed to cycle the compressor on and off to stop that from happening
Old 21 May 2009, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok finding out---got more info did more forum searchs--

here's your link

My Turn ...all you tech's out there.

hope one day i can contribute

will clean up when i find the answer

Last edited by steveohb; 21 May 2009 at 05:28 pm.
Old 22 May 2009, 09:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

problem solved

the problem was that the plug on the pressure cycling switch was loose --all i did was plug it in till it clicked--problem solved---must of not been put on correctly at the factory--nice

thanks to all and to this forum for all the help

steveohb
Old 22 May 2009, 09:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hope that is the fix, but I'm skeptical...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Jul 2009, 08:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK --worked for awhile and then started to blow hot air, so i brought it to the dealer with an added plus warranty and this was there diagnosis:

cycle switch has an open circuit.
1.0 + part. and check again
ordered switch (back ordered)

charges--------------------------------0.00

so can someone tell me what they did --because the air is working perfect again

is the switch just sticky and by checking knocked it free again like i did prior?

did they recharge the system?

they claim the system has no leaks

when the part gets in they will charge the 100 deductible to replace the switch