PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air box interchnage& performance upgrades

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2009, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air box interchnage& performance upgrades

I just joined as I bought an '06 Cruiser in black non turbo. I know that it has prob been discussed before but I couldn't find it. My question is, is there ay difference between air boxes for these cars. I see cold air kits listed for 01-04 but a couple of web sites have them listed as 01-07. What gives? Also what performance mods would you guy's start with?? This is going to be a daily driver. Thanks for help
Old 21 May 2009, 09:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Air box interchnage& performance upgrades

not sure about the air box but here is a start to the n/a mod list

note: you will have to register and then open the link again

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.
Old 22 May 2009, 08:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The air boxes are different!! I had a 2002 and had installed a Airaid intake, went to put it on the new 2006, wouldn't fit as the box is smaller, lugs are in a different and I contacted Airaid, they were not aware of the change. After a few months I was able to get a intake from them.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 May 2009, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info! I was about to buy one at a swap meet for an '02 (mines '06). I'll keep looking.
Old 26 May 2009, 12:54 am
Regular Cruiser

All you need is an aftermarket air filter. Buying the whole cold air kit will not get you anymore performance over buying the air raid or K&N filter and dropping it in. The stock filter box is basically already a cold air kit, drawing air from the drivers side fender. The cheapest Air raid filters I found (and I also have a n/a 06) was at performancecenter.com. I also bought a jet throttle body spacer there and am getting almost 2 mpg more.
Old 26 May 2009, 06:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Samson,

You were doing really well there explaining about the air filter but your credibility went down hill from there when you came out with your statement about the Throttle Body Spacer.

That, along with the Tornado (fan in the air in take), Magnets on the fuel line and a few other "performance enhancements" aren't worth the time of day.

There's no way an inch thick piece of metal with a hole in it that supposedly twist the incoming air for better fuel atomization will EVER work on the PT for either performance or better gas mileage. The air splits up into 4 different chambers and travels a couple more feet before entering the combustion chamber. Any affect the spacer had is long gone.

Under a carburetor, right above the manifold (where the original spacer was made for) the affect can make a difference.

You might think you are getting 2 more miles to the gallon, but the difference on how you drive and how you fill the tank up (which will never be exactly the same unless you top the tank off to where it's overflowing) will give you more than the 2 miles you say your getting.

Experts on this and other forums had contacted the makers of a known brand name Throttle Body Spacer and confronted them with showing performance and gas mileage figures. The answer from the manufacturer was that "it can't be measured, even on a dyno".

Fire Away.

I'm up in Virginia with the grandkids and they are in school and the son and daughter-in-law are at work. Plenty of time to kill.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 May 2009 at 06:58 am.
Old 26 May 2009, 12:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Number 1, it is not the twisting of the air that makes any difference, its the increased velocity of the incoming air that makes any difference. Yes I am aware of products like the tornado, which are crap. Even if twisting the air made any difference it would be offset by the increased impedence of air velocity by putting a fan blade in your incoming air tract.
Im not concerned that you believe I have no credibility. And I am not some newbie to building engines who thinks bolt ons like bigger mufflers that make my car sound like a bumble bee in a can will give me a 10 second car. Allthough I do not have alot of experience building front wheel drive engines, I have built fuel injected rear wheel drive engines.
I did not post the statement about the throttle body spacer based on what I read and I am not imagining my mpg difference. I have used the same place to buy gas, driven the same route to work for almost 2 years now, with no other mods or changes to the engine. I dont care if anybody buys it, I am just relating what I experienced.
Old 26 May 2009, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, believe what you want but even when the manufacture says any improvements can't be measured when pressed for dyno results, than that should say volumes. They can say all they want in the product write-up, proving it is something else.

I guess if your happy with the results, and the manufacturer is happy that you bought their product, then that's all that counts. Have a good one.
Old 26 May 2009, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I also installed a spacer on the 03 n/a I had and I noticed a 2mpg increase too.And if search hard enough crewzin you can find a pretty old thread where members weigh the pros and cons on spacers and about 2 or 3 guys on the thread said it gave better mpg and a "cool whistling sound" to be exact. lol
Old 26 May 2009, 09:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhale09 View Post
I also installed a spacer on the 03 n/a I had and I noticed a 2mpg increase too.And if search hard enough crewzin you can find a pretty old thread where members weigh the pros and cons on spacers and about 2 or 3 guys on the thread said it gave better mpg and a "cool whistling sound" to be exact. lol

That is so true! I put one on after I installed my intake. I didn't notice a huge MPG increase but that whistling sound was worth it anyways! Kids keep asking me if it's a turbo. I never tell 'em anything, lol. I might have noticed an MPG increase had it been installed pre-intake but I love it. I have the Secret Weapon R intake with the spacer, and a Thrush Super Turbo muffler I just installed today. Sounds great, and my top end increased. I'm the happiest PT in town!