Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 Pt cruiser starting issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2009, 09:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 Pt cruiser starting issues

Hi everyone i am new here and just purchased a 2002 pt cruiser touring edition. I was told when i bought it that it needed a starter which it did, so i replaced the starter and it started right up. However, ater a few days it si back to doing the same thing and that is just clicking when turn it over. I know the clicking is coming from the starter, so i guess my question is what could be causing this?? If i tap on the new starter and cause a spark it will start sometimes as long as i have another person inthe car to turn it over that is. and by the way it is an auto not a manual tranny... Any ideas on what could be the problem?? Any suggestions would be helpful....is there a known wiring issue i should know about and is there an easy fix for this???? Thanks in advance

Last edited by ort102; 24 May 2009 at 09:53 am.
Old 24 May 2009, 10:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Pt cruiser starting issues

Sounds like a dead spot on the started solenoid.

Read: PT starter problems

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 May 2009, 10:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thats what we thought at first, however we are on are 2 new starter in 2 weeks. And hat baffels us is it is doing the same thing everytime just the clicking that is. However, one you get it started it will last for a day or 2 then not want to start again. And the remote start doesn't even turn it over..
Old 10 Jul 2011, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hello i have a similar starting issue with my 02 pt crusier. I've been through 2 starters and the generator checked out good. new batt, also. checked continuity with wires. swapped out relays put in a new fuse. nothing i did get it too startwhile checking for volts at the small wires coming off the starter solenoid. it started once then nothing else i do get a click at the starter every time/ i need help!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 06:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for not updating how I finally fixed the problem. I actually had to replace the wire harness that connects the battery to the starter. Never had a problem with it again. To bad the timing belt snapped last week and seized my engine, now I am having to rebuild the top of the motor. So the lesson I learned was I should stick to my hondas! Lol no I can't complain I have driven the car across the claims country many of times and I it never left me the stranded! Will be driving it again in about 3 days!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 07:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Good to hear you got the starting issue fixed, sucks that the timing belt went.

You were over due for the belt change based on age, not sure on your mileage...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com