Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Camshaft Position Sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 May 2009, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Camshaft Position Sensor

My daughters 2005 PT cruiser started "cutting out" today at @2,300 rpm. I took it to Advance Auto Parts where they read out a 240 code and sold me a camshaft position sensor. I replaced the part ( get an 8mm socket on your ratchet ). The check engine light is still on.

Here's my dilemna. When she brought it home, it was warmed up and I could not replicate the problem even though the light was on. After I replaced the part and let it cool, the problem resurfaced.

Any suggestions? I don't know a good mech here in the South Charlotte/ Waxhaw area.
Old 25 May 2009, 07:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Camshaft Position Sensor

Welcome to the Forum.

First question, did you disconnect the negative battery cable for about 5 - 10 minutes to reset the codes? That may reset the check engine light. Let us know if that helps.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 May 2009, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, I did. I am wondering if I got a defective part from Autozone. The odd thing is that the car ran fine when she gave it to me (it was warmed up)
Old 25 May 2009, 10:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

There is no code P0240. There is P0204 = fuel injector #4, or P0340 = Cam sensor circuit fault. The cam sensor circuit is from the computer's 8-volt reference to ground and the signal back into the PCM. There's more than just the sensor to test.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 08:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

My mistake, code 340. We have been back to the mechanic twice after he sent us to the dealer who tried to sell us a timing belt and water pump replacement for $1170.

The second dealer is starting with the non-oem sensor ( Advanced auto parts) as the source of the problem and feels that this will take care of it.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghaddon View Post

The second dealer is starting with the non-oem sensor ( Advanced auto parts) as the source of the problem and feels that this will take care of it.
MX-5 is right when saying there's more to it than just throwing a part at the problem but I have heard (from an owner on this forum) who replaced the store bought sensor with an OEM part and it did clear the problem.