PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Not sure where to put electrical questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2009, 11:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Not sure where to put electrical questions?

I have 2 really annoying issues and need to known if anyone else has had them.

1. My rear hatch sensor goes on and off randomly. I can have the hatch closed for days and suddenly the idiot and the interior lights come on. I have to open and close the hatch to get it to go off. Sometimes I have to slam it so hard the interior door panels falls off. I tried removing the sensor but the interior light just stays on. Is there a way to by pass the switch?

2. My fog lights now come on if I barely tap the turn signal switch in. I have to "jiggle" the switch to get it to stay off. Twice I have returned to my car and the fog lights were on. I was luck they were only on for a few minutes both times but what happens if they come after I go to bed. This is with the keys out of the ignition, BTW.
Old 27 May 2009, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Not sure where to put electrical questions?

Moved you to the technical section of the forum.

You fog lights are coming on/staying on because of a malfunctioning multi-function stalk. The stalk also controls your turn signals and headlights. Because of cheap/flimsy internal parts, some of them tend to burn out or melt together. In rare cases the stalk tends to smoke when these parts melt together. Don't think there's been an actual fire as that would lead to a recall and there was none for the stalk even though thousands of owners have had to replace it.

If your still under warranty, the dealer will replace it. If not, the dealer can still replace it for you but it will cost somewhere around $300 with parts and labor.

If your handy, you can pick up a new stalk for about $70-100 and replace it yourself in about 45 minutes.

As far as the rear hatch, not sure of your problem but I know when I open my hatch I have to be sure I slam it shut when I'm done or I'll get that warning light in the front dial.
Old 27 May 2009, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

CRAP!!! If was going to drop a C note it sure as hell would be on a damn switch! BUT that gives me much needed info. Thanks.

And somehow I completely overlooked this forum. Thanks
Old 27 May 2009, 04:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I was having trouble with my rear hatch not opening on my 2006. Took it to dealer and they changed out the latch under warranty. You didn't say what year so I wouldn't know if it is covered under warranty. I did and do have extended warranty now on my 2008.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 May 2009, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

ravix,

You can always take the #8 fuse out of the interior fuse box (if you have the 01-05 cruiser. That will disable the fog lights altogether until your ready to buy a new multi-function stalk.
Old 28 May 2009, 07:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hooligan: It's 01 and I bought it used so the warranty ran out years ago. But thanks.

Crewzin: Thanks, I will remove the #8, that helps a lot!!
Old 28 May 2009, 09:50 am
Cool Cruiser

On the rear hatch issue, what do you mean by sensor? I sell what I consider being a sensor as part of my employment but I wouldn't think of one of them being used to sense a door/hatch being open or closed. What I have usually seen is a switch with a plunger that when the door is opened, it pops up and makes contact to close a circuit and turn on the lights.

However you said you removed yours and the lights still stayed on. This does sound like sensor that's circuit is normally closed until the presence of a metallic object enters its sensing area allowing the circuit to open.

Have you tried adjusting whatever you have so that it sits closer to the hatch's flange?
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 28 May 2009, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There's no plunger switch and I an doubtful that the big C would have paid for that kind of sensor on their low end model. BUT since I have not found any other sensor on or near the hatch that has a plunger, I will have to assume that they did. I have adjusted the bracket holding it. It also holds the key lock mechanism. I plan to shave the lower half of the rear hatch eliminationing that latch/switch all together. But in the mean time I have to bypass that sensor. Does anyone knoe if there is a dedicated fuse for that switch?
Old 28 May 2009, 08:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

You certainly have me confused. Bracket holding what switch, where is this bracket. What key lock mechanism does it hold?

The only key lock I'm aware of on the back hatch is for locking/unlocking the rear door. The only switch I know that would be associated with that lock would be the electronic one that locks/unlocks the rear hatch when you turn the key in the locks.

I also have a 2001, I'll have to remember to look tomorrow and see what I can find that turns the rear hatch lights on and off.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 28 May 2009, 09:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the key lock is for the hatch. I had to go inside the rear hatch and reassemble the lock twice because the screws back out and it "fell apart". Tomorrow I will try and get a picture of what I am referring to. If that sensor isn't for when the hatch in ajar, then I have no clue what it's for.