Advertisements
seat replacement hell

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2009, 01:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default seat replacement hell

Hi:

Long sad story...made a mistake thinking I could change out my stock fabric seats on a 2007 convertable for 2 PT Cruiser's 2001 leather heated seats.

So I finally decided to leave the driver's seat in...however the driver's airbag warning lite illuminated....the dealer shop said their computer shows wiring conflicts under the new seat however the dealer's shop mechanics cannot say whether the steering column airbag is deactivated.

Can anyone help with this one?

Thanks
Old 29 May 2009, 02:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: seat replacement hell

Hey Ron,

Welcome to the Forum. Though my gut feeling is you may have a conflict going on here somewhere, I would probably at least start by resetting the computer first to reset the tripped warning light. Please note if you ever trip a warning light, or check engine light, and so on this also should reset everything unless their is a serious problem just in case.

All you do to reset the system is pull the battery cable for a couple of minutes to clear out the memory. Then reinstall it and the light should be cleared.

Your Drivers side air bag should still be active, and operational as far as I know unless you have tapped into the wiring harness, or fuse box and tripped something up. Their are several Impact Sensors that run separately to the Air Bag itself as a fail safe in case one sensor should fail, another in theory will trigger and save the driver from harm in case of collision as required by the Federal DOT, so from a safety standpoint, your covered no matter what, so no worries their.

Like I say, try resetting the system first, and see if the light comes back on, or it was an anomaly, or "Ghost" in the system, and then go from their. At the very least it will give you a good starting point that a Mechanic may likely charge you an hours shop rate to try first.

Please post back if that doesnt work, and I am sure some of our more Tech involved Members would be more than happy to see if we can't maybe provide some more help.

Go easy, and good luck!

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 29 May 2009, 03:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: seat replacement hell

Thanks Candyman:

Much appreciated!

I did what you suggested (disconnect the battery) and the airbag icon on the dash still illuminates.

Incidently, I had the seat installed professionally at a car electronics shop recommended by the dealer. The installer said the required plug was already in place and it was a simple plug in.

However, the 2007 drivers seat had another plug set that tied into seat sensors...fortunately there was no weight sensor... a seat rail position sensor was installed on the 2007 seats.

On a side note, I removed the 2001 leather passenger seat and reinstalled my stock 2007 fabric seat. This was because I was told that the passenger seat weight sensor tells the passenger side airbag system to activate.

Since it is my wife's car....she WANTS the steering column to inflate...and she would also LIKE to have the 2001's heated,adjustable leather seat.

I find that the dealership does not want to get involved (other than doing the $$ diagnosis telling me one of the wires is not connected/or cut under the driver's seat ..which I already knew). The dealership said they did not know the airbag system enough to say if the driver's side was functional.

Like you, I understood the driver's airbag was triggered by impact sensors. I can't see the entire airbag safety system being deactivated because of a loose seat wire, unfastened seat belt, etc....but with lawyers involved (??)..

Candyman (and anyone else) can you shed some more light on the question: is the driver's side airbag still armed and functional now?

Thanks again Candyman...rgds...Ron
Old 04 Aug 2013, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK. Please help me. I also have a 2007 pt cruiser and it was bought used and the cloth seats are dirty and not coming clean, so I am trying to change out my 2001 leather seats to the 2007. The problem is the 2001 seat belt strap won't lock into the 2007 lock thing. It won't click into place on any of the seats. I don't have airbags in my seats and I don't have heated seats. Do u know if u can change the receptacle or the thing the seat belt locks into? On the 2001 the seat belt straps are mounted to the seat and the 2007 is mounted to the panel on the inside next to the seat, so I can't change out the belts I don't think. Thnku. Clee44
Old 04 Aug 2013, 09:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: seat replacement hell

I believe the differences between a Gen-1 PT,and a Gen-2 PT,although slight won't facilitate the change out.....Have you considered the option of getting seat covers for the 2007(w/stained seats),and before you say: "Oh,seat covers wont look the same!";You should look closely at these covers that 'Teekypt' just installed on his PT Cruiser. Custom Seatcovers from Coverking
Old 04 Aug 2013, 09:50 am
Senior Cruiser

My thought is similar to Randy's. It may be possible to switch just the stock, leather seat covers and not the entire seat. That way you eliminate any wiring/sensor/warning light problems.

I looked over the older posts in this revived thread and saw the comments. I would suggest to anyone needing professional help to never go to a dealer because they have 0 experience with transplanting seats. Go, instead to a collision, body repair shop because they do stuff like this on a weekly basis.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 10:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: seat replacement hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
It may be possible to switch just the stock, leather seat covers and not the entire seat.
The only problem I forsee with that is: Giving the age of the 'leather' being 12+ years (unless 'maybe',it was 100% maintained with saddle soap & mink oil) removal of the seat covers,and subsequent re-installation has a VERY good chance of cracking the leather,or ripping the seams apart......And those things would probably happen even before the install;I REALLY think the best idea,without causing any conflicts with wiring connectors,seat belt harnesses,and in some cases even the PCM/ECU(especially in a Gen-2 w/Can-Bus system) is to get some seat covers,and the very best I've seen so far is the ones 'Teekypt' purchased for around $325 from Coverking.....The other alternative is to go to an an auto upholstery shop and have them professionally done,but then your looking at maybe spending $1,000 (give or take?),which is still cheaper than getting 'factory' replacement covers from Chrysler and having them installed. BTW;The cover for JUST the bottom seat cushion (for a 2003 PT) is $264: COVER. Left. Front Seat Cushion. [DV]. Front Seat - Trim Code [AL]. 2003 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER # 0XM331DVAA, 1AB951DVAA
Old 04 Aug 2013, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok thanku for all the replys.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 02:04 pm
Banned

Holy thread revival batman!
Old 04 Aug 2013, 02:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Talking Re: seat replacement hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Holy thread revival batman!
I thought you might say "Just take the stained covers off,and go commando!"....