Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Headlights wont turn on but highbeams work uhhmm ok

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2009, 02:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Headlights wont turn on but highbeams work uhhmm ok

Ok frustration has fully set in i have an ongoing problem that seems to be getting worse. 2001 PT 83k miles. At first my right headlight went outwhile driving at night i noticed immediately. So the next morning i checked the fuses and found that someone shoved a 25 amp fuse in the #18 postion where a 10amp should go. So i pulled it out and saw that the fuse was melted and not blown it also melted the slot in which it sits in not bad enough to where it will not make a contact by a fuse though. So i pulled the 25 out and replaced the #18 and #19 fuses with new 10amp's NOW I GET NO HEADLIGHTS WTF? My highbeams work perfectly though. So i took it too advanced auto and the guys there were baffled they had 3 of them out there at once checking relays,fuses etc. "Props to the guys at AA they know customer service btw". So know i have no functioning headlights and only highbeams we verified that the fuse panel was working with a multimeter so that doesnt seem to be the issue. Any help whatsoever is much appreciated i just cant afford to take it to a mechanic and this car is my job so many thanks to all who can contribute you all rock!
Old 30 May 2009, 08:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Headlights wont turn on but highbeams work uhhmm ok

I was thinking "multifunction switch" ,(if you have any problems with PT Cruiser lighting, always check that first), but now with all that overcurrent melting going on, it might be more than that.

You should probably get a continuity tester, disconnect the battery and see if the load side of the that circuit is grounded out. If it is, you probably are going to have to find the short and fix and/or replace wiring or harness parts.

You might want to just replace the multifunction switch and prey that's it?

Good luck!
srg
Old 31 May 2009, 04:21 am
Cool Cruiser

I would say the multifunction switch is the issue also, but the melting thing is not good. You should look to see the the wires for the lights are ok and the the wires at the multifunction switch are ok. Good luke!
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 31 May 2009, 11:50 am
Young Cruiser

Pray that it is not the multifunction control switch, because they are next to impossible to get a hold of right now.
Old 08 Jun 2009, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would recommend spending the money and get the mechanics to do a systems check on the car....costed me about 150 Cdn for 2 checks of 2 systems...

my story...

my LH running light would not function, however all headlights low and high beam worked...changed the bulb but no joy.

mechanics said i needed to pay 40 dollars to have them tell the car's computer to recognize my new bulb...turned out it was a running light control module (about 600 cdn dollars) that failed....

hope this helps...Ron