PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Steering wheel moves side to side up to 45mph?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2009, 09:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Question Steering wheel moves side to side up to 45mph?

'06 PT - auto - 31K - Well I just bought and picked up my '06 PT today and noticed from a dead stop to about 45mph the steering wheel moves side to side by itself under even the slightest acceleration. There is a slight vibration in the steering wheel when cruising 55 - 70mph and also I feel a very slight vibration thru the pedal in the front end. I'm guessing I have a combination or all four of the following issues.
1.) Wheel balance needed in front tires
2.) Check brakes...possible rotors warped or need to be cut
3.) Some type of front suspension/steering issue
4.) Bent rim(s) I'm assuming the front rims ....Can a mechanic check for this???
Any insight felas...Still some warranty left...will it cover any front end rack & pinion repairs and suspension issues?

Also did the base models come with keyless entry or anti theft. All I got was two keys but noticed only one keylock which is usually a sign of keyless entry key fob. How much are they?

66CUDA

Last edited by 66CUDA; 31 May 2009 at 10:07 am.
Old 31 May 2009, 02:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Steering wheel moves side to side up to 45mph?

The wobble is most likely a bent rim or a bad tire. If it has the original GoodForayears then that is very likely. Could also be a bad axle.
Base model's did not have keyless entry. If you don't have power locks then you don't have RKE.
Old 31 May 2009, 02:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had a similar problem with my '06.The pull was really noticable when accelerating away from a stop.One if the Eagle LSs(right front)had tread separation.A new st of Falken ZE912s fixed the problem.
Clark
Old 31 May 2009, 02:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yes, they are the GOOD4ayear tires in the front and driver rear and one Futura 2000 on the pass. rear (new), but I don't think the Gdyrs. are the originals 'cause they have decent tread left on them for 31K and the rear tires are like new. Any way I tell by looking at the front tires which one if not both, are bad? I noticed little bit of outside wear and both front tires. Under hard acceleration the 'wobble' is less significant but more pronounced during slow acceleration. If its a bent rim is there any way to tell besides being placed on a wheel balancer? Is it okay to rotate the rear tires to the front since they are mismatched?
I'm hoping its a bent rim because I'm ordering new wheels shortly.

Also, I do have power locks and one door lock...My Ford ExploDer had a key fob and it had one door lock.

Thx, 66CUDA
Old 01 Jun 2009, 07:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Had my mechanic check her out today and I did not have a bad tire.
I had TWO bad tires!!!!! Never had Good4ayear tires before on any car I ever had until I bought my PT Saturday. Soon I will never own them ever again! Almost brand new tread and they wobble like a drunkard.

66CUDA
Old 01 Jun 2009, 08:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CUDA View Post
Yes, they are the GOOD4ayear tires in the front and driver rear and one Futura 2000 on the pass. rear (new), but I don't think the Gdyrs. are the originals 'cause they have decent tread left on them for 31K and the rear tires are like new. Any way I tell by looking at the front tires which one if not both, are bad? I noticed little bit of outside wear and both front tires.

Had my mechanic check her out today and I did not have a bad tire.
I had TWO bad tires!!!!! Never had Good4ayear tires before on any car I ever had until I bought my PT Saturday. Soon I will never own them ever again! Almost brand new tread and they wobble like a drunkard.

66CUDA
The fact the tires were mismatched would have raised red flags, at least for me...

I'm by no means a Goodyear fanatic but I will say that when I bought my prior vehicle ('94 V6 Camaro at 70k) it had Goodyears and I kept the brand on the car for an additional 90k miles before I sold it 3 months ago and bought this PT. Never had tire issues.

I bought my PT with 45k and just had my 48k service. It came with tires-easy.com - Details: Toyo SPECTRUM 205/55 R16 89T and the tires have plenty of tread. I have no experience with this brand but they have given me no issues so far... Still, I wouldn't hesitate going back to Goodyear when it comes time to replace these.