Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hurst shifter sloppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2009, 11:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hurst shifter sloppy

I know there probably is a post about this in here but i could not find one. I just put in the Hurst short shift kit I got it off Ebay for $80, cant say I'm impressed with the change but its a definite improvement. The only thing is that it moves left to right a lot more in and out of gear. I ordered the "booger bushings" in hopes that that would fix that. Has anyone found the Hurst shifter to be quite sloppy? and does anyone know if the boogers will fix it?
Thanks !
Old 01 Jun 2009, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Hurst shifter sloppy

I just put the booger bushings in today I gotta say they did not do anything, probably because my bushings where in surprisingly good shape. I did manage to fix the sloppy movement from side to side I guess it was my own ignorance that did not see the rod that comes out of the side of the shifter did not sit right its a hex head so I just removed it put some lock tight on and put it back in farther out so now it sits in right.
Old 01 Jun 2009, 02:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakinglife213 View Post
I just put the booger bushings in today I gotta say they did not do anything, probably because my bushings where in surprisingly good shape. I did manage to fix the sloppy movement from side to side I guess it was my own ignorance that did not see the rod that comes out of the side of the shifter did not sit right its a hex head so I just removed it put some lock tight on and put it back in farther out so now it sits in right.
Glad you got it working right. I had a Hurst shifter on my '03 GT and liked it. Shifting was more solid and precise. Solved that long row boat shift from 2nd to 3rd.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 02 Jun 2009, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello Walkinglife213

I made the changes you can see here: HURST shifter improvements! to my Hurst shifter, because it felt unprecise.

Before that, I tried to open the small lever with the hex screw, just because I wanted to do the same as you: Have that lever a little bit longer...

...but how did you manage to open that screw?? On my Hurst it seemed to be almost welded in its thread. Can you tell me?

Best wishes!
Old 02 Jun 2009, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I managed to take it out with a breaker bar and vice, I wrapped the shifter in a old towel so I did not mess up the chrome . After taking it out I was able to see it has red lock tight on it, so that's probably why its so hard to get out! After pulling it out I reapplied lock tight and put it back where it would sit right, it feels nice and firm now. I hope this helps and good luck!
Old 03 Jun 2009, 01:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi and thanks for your description! I tried it with my bare hands an a thin allen key... so I soon gave up!
If you still have play in the mechanism, you should try to apply that E-shaped sheet of plastic I showed in the 2nd picture in my posting. You can see if it would be an advantage if you look at the pivot's housing's gaps when moving the shifter stick sideways. If the gaps (especially the one over the side pin) open(s) under tension, there is some play that can be successfully reduced thus bringing much more extra precision. Try it!

Take care!

Last edited by gschnu; 03 Jun 2009 at 02:02 am.