PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Oil not draining, dipstick shows full with plug removed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2009, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil not draining, dipstick shows full with plug removed?

Hello,
Please offer input - I'm stumped. Thanks
I started an oil change today on the wife's PT (2001, Limited w/66k miles), removed the drain plug oil starts to drain as expected. I left and did other stuff for about 10 minutes, came back and oil was just dripping slowly. So I checked the dip stick and it showed low but still in safe range... hmmm. I removed the filter and drained it. Dip stick still reads the same, low but in safe range?

I installed drain plug and new filter then started to add 5w-30 moble1 and stopped at a quart to check level and it was approaching the full mark! In 1 qrt!!

I was forced to trust the dip stick and assume it had oil, started engine and got it back up to op temp (no oil light or odd noises), let it sit a min and checked level - still full.
I removed the drain plug again and nothing drains out!! I poked a small screw driver in the drain hole, it didn't feel blocked and a small amount of oil came out with it and it was cool to touch, not warm as I expected.

Any idea why the oil seems to not want to drain out?? I'm worried to drive it - not sure if it has oil or if it is circulating - I've never seen anything like this. drain plug out no oil draining yet level is full... oil on dip looks fine not even that dark and no signs of sludge from what I can tell?

Thanks in advance!!
Rich
Old 31 May 2009, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil not draining, dipstick shows full with plug removed?

I've done a search and found NO cases where the oil won't drain when you pull the plug. Maybe one of the techs on the forum can come up with something.

If it happened to me, I'd pull the pan to find out what the heck is happening.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 31 May 2009, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

sounds like a sludge build up.

can u stick a small screw driver int he drain hole and see if any dirt or anything comes out? i cannot think of why the oil wont come out.. id be pulling the pan without question..
Old 31 May 2009, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I hear ya.
Yes I did poke with a small screw driver and did not feel anything odd or resistance - no sludge came out, just a lil oil, like one or two drops.

what's involved in pulling th epan?
Old 31 May 2009, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not really for the novice, real fast pointers from the book:

1. Drain the pan (moot point) there.
2. Remove the structural collar
3. Remove the lateral bending brace.
4. Remove the lower torque strut.
5. Remove the flywheel/driveplate inspection cover.
6.Remove the mounting bolts and lower the pan.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 31 May 2009, 09:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You posted this on another forum - I'll give same answer -
What are you draining the oil into? Ought to be easy to see how much oil drained - that it's dripping after 10 minutes is normal - the bulk of oil comes out in the first few minutes.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Jun 2009, 07:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I did post on another forum - it was sunday afternoon and was hoping for some feedback fairly quickly, and the other forum took a very long time to send the activation email, sorry hope that wasn't a problem.

I realise the majority of the oil comes out in the first minute or so, as mentioned I pulled the plug and oil started to drain then I stepped away. So yes, some oil started to drain as normal. I drain into a larger enclosed oil tub that already had used oil in it so it's hard to tell how much came out in total. I use it to drain the oil in from all my vehicles/toys.

What is disturbing is that with the plug removed and oil appearing to be done draining the dip stick still shows near full - and I added a quart and tried to drain that back out and it did not drain. If no oil drained and dip stick showed empty I would assume the vehicle was wicked low on oil when i started the change.

Thanks
Old 01 Jun 2009, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sounds to me like you are going to have to take the pan out like CREWZIN said. I would not run or drive the car tell you do, if something is in there blocking the drain plug there might be something blocking the oil pump, If it is then your engine can seize up.
Old 01 Jun 2009, 03:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just to make sure, when you pulled the dipstick out, you did wipe it off, stick back in and then pulled it out to find it had oil at the full mark, correct?
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 01 Jun 2009, 05:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

what I'm about to write may sound stupid but are you sure you are draining the right thing? I mean you could be draining the transmission oil rather than the engine oil. It would be logic since you drained it, add some and it won't drain, maybe what you add what just some oil the engine pumped or leaked.