Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
air conditioning not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2009, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default air conditioning not working

Of course it is 95 today and my AC is not working. Last October, after my timing belt & water pump were replaced, the car overheated. So it was back to the dealer where they replaced the thermostat, radiator & cooling fan. I had no need for A/C at that point in the year, so I'm not sure if it working then, all I know is that it is not now. Any ideas of what it could be & how much it would cost?

Thanks
Gigi
Old 02 Jun 2009, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: air conditioning not working

Gigi,

First, stay away from that dealer if possible. I'm not sure if you really needed the timing belt and water pump changing when you did (don't have enough information) but as far as your overheating, the odds are it was either the thermostat, radiator OR cooling fan that you needed, NOT ALL THREE.

Since you haven't tried your A/C since they worked on it, it's possible they messed that up also since most places have to move the A/C lines to change the timing belt.

You should also run the A/C, even in winter to keep the seals lubricated. So, in any event, you need to have the A/C freon level checked out. If could be as simple as a recharge. Can't give you an estimate but there are places around that will check the A/C for free and only charge you for the parts (including R134 freon) that you need.

Look threw the yellow pages for such a place.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin.
The reason I had the timing belt replaced was because it broke (at around 85K) miles & they recommended that the H2O pump be replaced at the same time. The dealer who did the repair is out of business. The mechanic replaced the thermostat and I was told that the replacement did not fix the problem. They told me that the radiator was corroded and the fan wasn't working on low-speed. So unfortunately I bought it to the tune of $1200.
I'll have someone check the Freon. Hopefully that's all that it is.
Thanks again
Old 05 Jun 2009, 07:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does your high fan work?