PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ECU programs/Piggy back ECU's & Dyno tuning questions (2.4L)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2009, 02:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question ECU programs/Piggy back ECU's & Dyno tuning questions (2.4L)

Hi Mopar Brethren!

I need some advice from the pro's here. As some of you may know last summer (or about 12k miles ago) I had some significant engine mods done on my PT 2.4na, they included:

-Decking the head to bump comp. ratio from 9.4 - 10:1
-Porting the intake/exhaust ports to Chysler gasket max. size
-Installation of Crane performance cams (#10)

My goal was to boost HP about 20-25 and torque 15-20, while not totally sinking the fuel economy or driveability. I need to have the car dyno'd soon to see how close I got.

So far I can say the car is running very well. The pull was greatly improved from 3-5K, and in 3rd gear above 80 MPH the on tap accleration is sick! She's still a bit slow out of the hole IMO.

This is a daily driver (400+ miles per week) so I can't go too wild with it. My fuel MPG dropped about 10 percent, but I can live with that.

I need to know what my options are for the following:

-Stock ECU upgrade (flashing?)
-Your experience with 2.4L turbo or na motors using Megasquirt or other aftermarket piggy back ECU's (Apexi Neo...etc.)
-What products are out there for the Neon/PT 2.4L crowd
-Ability to change shift points (badly needed with the 4 speed auto)
-What other parameters should I be looking at (besides AF ratio, Shift points, Timing ect.)

I can see that she is running farily rich because I have lots of black soot inside the tail pipe. So I know she needs to be "tuned in" properly.

Does anyone have any tuner shop reccomnedations for the Chicago area?

Thanks guys I'd appreciate any advice on this!

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 11 Jun 2009, 04:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Re: ECU programs/Piggy back ECU's & Dyno tuning questions (2.4L)

Hi Guys, seems I got crickets on this post...so here is what I know from some research I did on the topic:

I found that AEM makes and F/IC piggy back computer for the 03-05 Neon SRT.
See link:
AEM Fuel Ignition Controller (FIC) - THMotorsports - Lowest Price Parts HKS Exhaust Apexi World Sport Koni Seibon Carbon Fiber ACT Exedy Clutch Skunk2

I also researched the computer ports for both the PT 2.4 na and the SRT 2.4 Turbo - they look identical (even the computer housings look the same).

So.....

If they look identical, they are from the same year, both Chrysler products, and computers tend to follow powertrain's is it possible the pin-settings match up or are identical between the SRT and PT? (I.E. - Pin 1 is for O2 sensor input on SRT and on PT, Pin 2 is ...etc.)

Does anyone have a pin designation diagram for an 03-05 SRT and for and 03-05 PT?

Also any input to the orignial message above would be welcome!

Thanks guys!

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 11 Jun 2009, 06:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: ECU programs/Piggy back ECU's & Dyno tuning questions (2.4L)

Tell me you are not thinking of using a SRT-4 ecu in your na PT cause the programming is different and it won't work. Stick with the na ecu and use a piggyback. You should really go to PT Crew and discuss this as there are a couple serious folks running a na with more power.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic

Last edited by Mean Green; 11 Jun 2009 at 06:17 pm.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 12:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Post Re: ECU programs/Piggy back ECU's & Dyno tuning questions (2.4L)

Hi Mean Green,

Thanks for the PT crew reccomendation. I just joined over there a couple weeks back. I posted this there but got crickets on it, so *shrug*. I'll give it another go over there and see what happens.

To respond to your question:
"Tell me you are not thinking of using a SRT-4 ecu in your na PT cause the programming is different and it won't work."

No, of course not. I know the stock SRT-4 ECU wouldn't work on a PT.

However what I meant was that AEM makes a piggy back fuel & ignition controller (F/IC) for the 03'-05' SRT-4. So my point was since my PT is an '03 and has the same (virtually) 2.4L engine and similar ECU (with exactly the same connection pins) would I be able to hook up the AEM system to piggy back my stock PT ECU....

I'm still trying to get some answers on that, but my gut tells me it should work. I think I'm going to ask some tech folks at AEM to be sure before I buy the F/IC.

Tom

Old 19 Jun 2009, 10:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you wouldn't mind, keep us posted on any information you find out about this. I'm definitely interested in how this turns out. I might even consider doing some of this myself.

Old 22 Jun 2009, 01:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Absolutely, when I know (shortly after) the forum will know too.

Tom

Old 23 Jun 2009, 07:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

u could always contact Dave @ B&G chrysler also.

He may have something for the pt's..

{I have used him on other chrysler vehicles}
Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Dave...? B & G Chrysler...? Never heard of him.

Sorry, but what does he do? Can he provide information about AEM F/IC computers for use on PT's?

Do you have an email address or phone #?

Tom

Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Welcome to B&G Performance "A World Leader in DCX & EURO Tuning Solutions" - Dodge/Jeep/Mini/Bentley Motors/AMG/Mercedes/Ferrari/Porsche PCM/TCM(Computer)Flashes
Old 12 Jan 2011, 05:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Megasquirt is widely used on the old 2.4, the 2.0 DOHC/SOHC.
The only difference is Mopar went NGC in ~'03. NGC requires a different code.
I understand the SRT-4 (all NGC) had trouble with the NGC code, but sounds resolved now.

We have two DOHC's running standalone, have made five units, one installed piggyback.
Piggyback is EZ compared to standalone.

They are very reliable and inexpensive.

A how-to:

MS Build Index

MS is infinitely adjustable, expandable and reliable. It's not refined like
an OEM PCM, to be sure.

It's dubious you would need this on a N/A PT unless you are doing something radical.