PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT cruiser Overheating - fan isn't running

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2009, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy PT cruiser Overheating - fan isn't running

I'm the proud owner of a 2002 Pt Cruiser Limited edition, est milage 83-84,000
I took my car to get an oil change the other day and on the way home it started to overheat. I've had no problems before that, except for the fog lights - that was an easy fix (via the pulling of the fuse).
Also the fan doesn't turn on - at all. This is also the first time I've had problems with the fan.
Is there a way to trouble shoot the problem? Any easy fixes?
I also need to know how the fan is connected to the the "hot" battery cable next to the starter.
My father and I are at a stand still.
I just want my car to run again - I miss driving my car
Thanx in advance to any replys.
Old 08 Jun 2009, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT cruiser Overheating - fan isn't running

To test the fan, get under the car and find the electrical connection to the motor. Push the red tab to the right and pull the connection apart. Now take a hot and ground wire and touch the connections that go to the fan. If should come on. You have two speeds if you don't have the turbo. If it doesn't come on, the motor is probably burn out, but there's relays and a temperature control plus the PCM that also controls the fan.

I put a sticky on top of the Tech & Performance section of this forum explaining how to change the fan out.

Your question; "also need to know how the fan is connected to the the "hot" battery cable next to the starter", isn't quite clear. Who told you it's connected next to the starter?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jun 2009, 10:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My father was confused and he says it's the cylinoide not the starter. (???) I have no idea what he was talking about but that's what he said.
I'm gonna try the fan test tomorrow - hopefully early and get back to you when this is resolved or have more problems.
Thanx for the quick response.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 04:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, the fan is turned on by a few different things, but no solenoid that I know of. The coolant temperature sensor, high and low speed relays and the PCM (computer) which runs the whole thing.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 01:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well we tried everything and the fan is working again . I don't know why, but we are happy. My dad thinks something must of got knocked around funny. He cleaned the temperature circuit thingy (looks like a box fuse with prongs - I'm not sure what it is.)
Thanx for your advice. My dad also invested in a fix it book for my PT.