PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Which top mod to do first?

View Poll Results: Which is better for mileage and maximizing power?
Cold air intake 5 83.33%
short ram (hot air) intake 0 0%
JET stage 1 or 2 chip 1 16.67%
throttle body spacer 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2009, 04:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Which top mod to do first?

I've always been a cold air intake fan, but I've heard great things about throttle body spacers and JET chips working extremely well on these cars.. so I'm torn to which I want to do first.

I'm mainly looking for gas mileage, but extra power is always nice, so please vote accordingly.

Thanks
Matt

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 10 Jun 2009, 06:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Which top mod to do first?

Where the heck did you hear anything good about the Throttle Body Spacer. (here we go again ) Please quote me some facts and dyno testing, not "somebody said" this and that and "it sure feels faster" and "I'm getting great gas mileage in the first tankful" BS.

Here, read this: Air box interchnage& performance upgrades

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Jun 2009 at 06:15 pm.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 06:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've just done some googling and it seems as though people get about 2-3mpg better... which would be plenty good enough for me

I know there are a lot of extremist lovers AND haters of the TB spacer.. but I think its worth a try?

Old 10 Jun 2009, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just send me the $100 and you'll feel a heck of a lot better. Me too.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 06:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

:lol:

I'm just saying. I've researched a LOT before joining here, but this is the site thats nearly always popped up under my google searches so I finally decided to join up.

But I've seen countless posts of 2-3mpg improvements.

Old 10 Jun 2009, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, I give in. If you read that post and still want to buy it, as NIKE says "Just do it".
Old 13 Jun 2009, 12:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well since I had a lackluster respone on my poll, I've decided to go with the sir (short/hot air intake). Off the line torque seems a TID bit better, 3,000+rpm's seems noticeably better, throttle response is up, sound is way cool.. and I just filled my tank from empty, so we'll see how gas mileage is. Hopefully it's up a few mpg.

Old 13 Jun 2009, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just read that response on your other post. The big thing I noticed about the intake was the throttle response also. The air, weather it be hot or cool, seems to help the engine a lot from a stand still. Yea, the noise is cool too.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 01:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Oh also, the car makes cool backfires now too if you rev it up not loud ones, but neat little crackles.

But I'm hoping this will increase gas mileage some. sir's seem like the way to go in terms of gas mileage so we'll see, since as you all know the underhood of these pt's gets HOT HOT HOT lol

Old 13 Jun 2009, 02:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You left "None of the above" off of your poll. You will not get better mpg/power with any of those things.

Cold air intake - No such thing unless hot air is totally eliminated from the intake. Even then maybe 2 hp gain which you can't even feel. A little bit better throttle response. No mpg gain.

Hot air intake - Maybe 2 hp gain, but a loss of some torque. A little bit better throttle response. No mpg gain. Here's an interesting article. http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...AirWARNING.pdf

Jet chip - Just send me the money and you can pretend it works. The Kenne Bell Optimizer II is the only one that truly works and has gotten rave reviews. Kenne Bell Optimizer II

Throttlebody spacer - Nice paper weight. Again, just send me the money and pretend.

To get the best mpg the car is designed for you need your car properly tuned, proper tire inflation and good driving habits. You could hypermile, but then you'd be driving like an idiot and really upsetting the people on the road around you with dangerous driving habits. Here's some more mpg claims put to rest. Looking For A Miracle: We Test Automotive 'Fuel Savers' - Popular Mechanics If you read the testimonials keep in mind that anyone can write one, even the people pushing the product. I'm more inclined to believe Popular Mechanics than individuals touting a product.

Bottom line is it is an individual's choice of what they believe. I gave up on fairy tales a long time ago.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic