Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another possible timing belt question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2009, 12:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another possible timing belt question

I have come to the forum for information in the past, but never had a question that I couldn't find an answer already posted. I realize this will be long, but want to make sure I include all the details.
I have a 2002 PT Cruiser. The timing belt broke and I had it and the water pump replaced by my local mechanic. It was idling rough when I picked it up, but he wanted me to drive it for the weekend to check it out.
I went by the following Monday and mentioned it was still running rough and had, for lack of a more technical term, a "gurgling" noise when I shut the engine off. His first response was that we might need to replace the spark plugs. I decided to drive it a few days before I did anything else.
I continued to drive it for the rest of the week. By the end of the week, the check engine light came on. I stop and restarted, the light stayed on. Made one more stop, then stopped for gas and within a mile the light went off. No light the next morning. As I'm pulling out after work, the light comes on and the engine goes to fail safe mode and won't shift out of second. I stop and restart and it resets. Made it part way home, made a stop and it starts back in fail safe mode. Tried to get it to reset several times and stayed in fail safe. I took it by on Monday, he read the codes and sent me to the dealer to have them replace the TCM, which they confirm and fix, no problem.
My question - it's still idling rough and the "gurgling" noise is still there. After looking through the threads I'm assuming it's the timing belt. I need to take it back to the first mechanic and I want to know how to address this with him, since he'll probably just want to change the spark plugs.
Also, could the timing belt problem have anything to do with the TCM problem?
Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice anyone can give me.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 10:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Another possible timing belt question

Quote:
a "gurgling" noise when I shut the engine off.
Coolant boiling and escaping into the reservoir? How are the engine temps when you drive? Mine stays stuck like a rock just below the halfway point.

Quote:
The timing belt broke and I had it and the water pump replaced by my local mechanic.
I'm assuming he also replaced the thermostat as its basically inside the water pump. Running with no thermostat wouldn't do this - even in the hot south florida misery my wife ran with hers drilled out after it seized and overheated the car once. It never got past the first tick for a week until we could get a proper thermostat installed. However you would absolutely notice if the thermo was stuck closed.

A normal timing belt change involves a leakdown test that checks to see if the valves hit each other. If that happened you wouldn't be able to drive the car though.

I can't imagine that the timing belt was installed one tooth off or slightly misaligned - you'd be backfiring a whole lot I would think.

The gurgling after you shut it off almost has to be coolant. Run out and look at the reservoir when you hear the gurgle. Feel the coolant bottle and see. Its a very distinctive sound when it happens.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 06:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another possible timing belt question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBlue_2002 View Post
My question - it's still idling rough and the "gurgling" noise is still there. After looking through the threads I'm assuming it's the timing belt. I need to take it back to the first mechanic and I want to know how to address this with him, since he'll probably just want to change the spark plugs.
Also, could the timing belt problem have anything to do with the TCM problem?
Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

The "gurgling" noise is sure to be your coolant overheating and like Bobdole369 said, your hearing it from the reservoir. It could be that your mechanic hasn't gotten all the air out of the system so it need to be bled. If your still having the rough idle most likely it's a tooth or half a tooth off on the timing belt. Here's an old thread to read about rough idle after timing belt change.

after timing belt idles rough

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.