Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Box Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2009, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air Box Mod

So i already put a glass pack muffler on my 02 non turbo and it makes it sound pretty good. I am about to do the mod to my air box that makes it a better cold air intake. I am going to use a 3 inch 90 degree pvc elbow to get air from the wheel well, and I am going to wrap the box aluminum bubble wrap. Is there anything else that could possible make the airbox more efficient, and can anyone that has already done this tell me how well it works. In am hoping that it will make the car louder and more reactive.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 01:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Air Box Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesinator View Post
So i already put a glass pack muffler on my 02 non turbo and it makes it sound pretty good. I am about to do the mod to my air box that makes it a better cold air intake. I am going to use a 3 inch 90 degree pvc elbow to get air from the wheel well, and I am going to wrap the box aluminum bubble wrap. Is there anything else that could possible make the airbox more efficient, and can anyone that has already done this tell me how well it works. In am hoping that it will make the car louder and more reactive.
Get a K&N drop in filter. They are better than stock.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 15 Jun 2009, 10:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I am going to use a 3 inch 90 degree pvc elbow to get air from the wheel well
Anything wrong with the stocker that already gets cold air from just behind the foglight? Granted it isn't sealed off into the fender or anything, but at speed there is a straight path for air to force its way directly into the stock intake. My stock (besides k&n) air box temp at speed is about 5 degrees above ambient. It's gotta be soaking from the turbo, but I'm not about to spend a ton of time or any money to get it that tiniest bit cooler. At idle its a different story, it pulls I would say half engine bay air, half air from under/behind the foglights. Just pull the airbox and look down where the snorkel is nearly sealed to the fender wall, you'll see pavement.

Not trying to dissuade you or anything, just maybe you didn't realize it was already set up that way. Wouldn't want ya spending a bunch of time on something that might not give you the expected results.

I had dremeled out a hole into the fender and sealed it with dryer exhaust and heat tape - didn't get any noticable results, then got worried about water intrusion so I epoxied it back up to stock. Thats when I realized it was basically already done for us.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 06:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I use a AiRaid intake filter, it has a rubber seal that fits tight to the padding under the hood.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Jun 2009, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Air Filtration and Flow Test
Air Filtration Test
K&N

dyno test results of various air boxes on a hemi
The Great Intake Face Off - RESULTS! - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle
Old 16 Jun 2009, 11:13 am
Cool Cruiser

I know all about the K&N tests. Outside of the lab though - I've never seen an issue. I wrote this huge post either here or at ptcrew about how I was going back to paper filters. In the end - I ended up going back to the K&N. I figure if its really a problem others would have seen something. Hundreds of thousands of users and no large scale reports of failures related to poor filtering so I must think that the K&N's ability to filter better as it gets dirtier must have some merit.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 02:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I Know the stock box already pulls air from the fender, I am just going to make the elbow bigger so that it can suck more air in. I am also going to try and insulate anything I can so that the box it's self doesn't heat up and so that hot air can get into the box.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 02:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

I used to get shitty mileage with the K&N but once I took out the padding from underneath the hood im back up to 20.6 average and that is on surface streets.

Did 50 miles worth of surface street driving yesterday and the 20.6 was my average. I went up .4 from when I started driving yesterday.

Last edited by slayerdarkcross; 16 Jun 2009 at 02:31 pm.