Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HVAC stuck on "outside air"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Default HVAC stuck on "outside air"

2001 base model, as far as my wife knows it has never worked since we picked it up at 50k miles. The vent is always on outside air. While driving with the air off - hot humid florida swamp comes through the vents. Also the AC while it works, works much like my own 2004 limited with a working recirculate selector - when its on outside air. That is - not quite enough.

Regardless of switch position that is. On my 2004 I can have it on outside air, feel the hot stickiness come through the vent with no fan on and the lever in "vent" and outside air. Switching it to inside air stops that outside hot air. It's not happening on my wifes 2001.

Any thoughts?
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HVAC stuck on "outside air"

Bob,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I was looking over the forum for question unanswered and saw yours. Surprised because you've given good answers to other peoples questions.

First take off the center console and you'll be able to see inter-workings of the control knobs to see if the knob is actually hooked up to the wire that goes to the HVAC controls. If it looks like it's working correctly, the answer lies in the HVAC section and it might just be the wire from the control knob to the inside/outside door has comes apart.

Photobucket is down right now as I have pictures of some of that. The Haynes and Chilton manual also has pictures and probably the on-line manual that you just mentioned to another owner.

Also, do an "advanced" search on this forum using "crewzin" under user name "find post by user" and in the Key Words section put "HVAC". You'll see some of the posts that I answered questions and posted pictures.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Jun 2009 at 10:55 am.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 09:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
First take off the center console and you'll be able to see inter-workings of the control knobs to see if the knob is actually hooked up to the wire that goes to the HVAC controls. If it looks like it's working correctly, the answer lies in the HVAC section and it might just be the wire from the control knob to the inside/outside door has comes apart.
Simple enough. Behind the knob is a valve with vacuum hoses. When I had it apart - I turned the knob and got a nice quiet hiss, so something is happening.

I then just went to the source. Took out the windshield washer unit, and behind that is the spot for the outside air cabin filter. I reached inside (bravely LOL) with the car running and the air on outside setting. Then had the wife flip the switch. There is a swinging door that came down, but did not come all the way enough to seal the outside orifice. It's just swinging there. Had her put it back on outside and the door promptly swung up to its firs position. So the vacuum actuator seems to be working basically.

Back on recirc I was able to get it to seal up and the door felt like it had some but not enough resistance to keep it from swinging back down.

So I fixed it the redneck way - Piece of cardboard cut out bigger than the outside orifice, bit of tape to secure it. Left a half inch strip open so if it goes into outside air (like when the defrost is on) it won't starve the fan of air.

It'll work well enough till winter when I'll be able to tear the dash down and get at it better.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually Bob, that's a pretty good way to do a temp fix for the "warm season" down there. I'll PM you with some info too big to post out here...