PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Reverse Lamp issue ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2009, 02:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Reverse Lamp issue ...

grrr...

Just failed my yearly inspection ... cus the freakin reverse lights don't light up. I didn't even know lol.

Anyway, the B/U LMP fuse is fine, but I get no voltage off the wires when the tranny is dropped into "R". Is the lamp switch part of the Neutral Safety Switch like on the Neons, and if so, where's it's location on this tranny (yes, auto). If not, where can I locate the B/U switch?

Lamps themselves are fine, but I replaced them as a just in case.

Thanks.

Jab
Old 16 Jun 2009, 03:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Reverse Lamp issue ...

Not trying to change the subject, but your issue is the exact reason I moved out of New York State years ago... well, winter too.

I don't miss yearly inspections.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The brake lamp switch on the auto transaxle PT is attached to the brake pedal. It's a plunger type switch that's adjustable and works by depressing the brake pedal.

If you've downloaded one of the FREE PT Service Manuals on the top of the Tech & Performance section of this forum, it's all explained in there. It tells and shows you how to diagnose and replace the switch if necessary.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 12:45 pm
Young Cruiser

The brake lights work fine, the reverse lights (the white ones that light up when you put the vehicle into reverse) are not lighting up. I'm leaning towards the Neutral Safety Switch, but I'm not sure if the PT uses one like the neon or if the reverse light switch is part of the gear selector. At work, unfortunately, I cannot download the manuals, and I have no net at the house at the moment due to financial issues (it seems that the cable company really means it when they say they want money ... not sure why they got so mad at me only being 2 years behind (kidding, had to kill the cable to fix the PT when it slipped time)).
Old 10 Nov 2012, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Reverse Lamp issue ...

I have a 2006 that I just became the owner of. It is a GT with 56000 miles on it. Had it for one week and did not realize the reverse lights were not working until last night as I had not really driven it at night yet. Not to mention that the license plate light is not working. First thing I did was to purchase new bulbs since that would be the most logical reason as to why a light would not be working. Now I am here looking for any other answers and ideas as to what could be the issue. Above all else, I really need the license plate light working. I have had that ticket before and believe it is unfair since most people never realize it even burns out on a pickup truck...

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 02:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't know if this will help. The Chilton and Haynes manual show the left and right back-up lamps work through the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) on the automatic PT's and through the Back-up Lamp Switch on the manual trans PT's. I don't know where the TRS is located and I also don't know if it's the same for the 06+ (Can Bus) system of later cruisers.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Reverse Lamp issue ...

Turns out if you remove the driver's side brake light (at least on the '06 ) there is a connector from the brake lights to the backups and license plate light. For some strange reason this was disconnected on mine. Probably due to an "accident" that is listed on the car fax that caused "no damage". Must have been enough damage to have the plastic replaced on it and someone forgot to reconnect it. Funniest thing is that it was driven like that for about a year by the previous owner. Good thing is that it was a simple fix and everything is working now. Did take a small chunk out of my finger and broke a piece off the clip that retains the back up light. But no worries about getting a ticket no license plate light.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 08:02 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Reverse Lamp issue ...

better you find out in an inspection state rather than the po po
Old 12 Nov 2012, 10:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Crewzin is correct, that on an automatic the back-up switch is part of the range sensor.

The range sensor is inside the transmission on the valve body, and the valve body must be removed to get to it.