Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Aaaaaaaaah!!!!!! I think my PT GarbageCruiser blew up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2009, 12:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Aaaaaaaaah!!!!!! I think my PT GarbageCruiser blew up

Well an elongated story short, a few weeks ago after taking the cruiser on the open road 800 miles she let my wife down. it needed a total of 900$ for a transmission repair, and on a separate incident in the middle of nowhere a cooling fan repair. Totally stranding her both times.

NOW, i'm on the open road again (mind you, the only times the pt has BEEN on the highway for several hundred miles, it's had major problems) cruising, ac on, radio going.. 10month old in back seat.

All of a sudden, I hear a weird pop noise or something like that, and the CEL came on. I immediately started pulling over, and the oil light came on so I turned off the ignition. Upon pulling over and inspecting the oil, it was plentiful and clean. The coolant was a bit low and although there was a lot of pressure under the cap, not a lot of coolant came out and it was bubbling and moving around in the radiator.

So I put water in the rad thinking it was low, but when I went to try cranking the car it just spun and spun and spun... and smelled gassy under the hood.

So now my car is multiple hours from home, some random ex airman gave me a ride back to base, and now I'm ****ed.

What could it be, how much could it be. Dealer siaid over the phone could be broken timing belt, jumped-the-tooth timing belt, cam or crank sensor?

What input do you guys have. I'm about to sell this piece of garbage.

Matt

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 20 Jun 2009, 01:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Aaaaaaaaah!!!!!! I think my PT GarbageCruiser blew up

Matt,

You have a lot of posts and I don't want to go through all of them to find out what you did so far. Have you ever had the timing belt replaced? At 89K+ it's right at the time where it's due. You didn't possibly run the key trick on it to see what code popped up did you? Nobody has ever mentioned the oil light coming on when their belt broke but it's possible because of lack of oil pressure.

The cam or crank sensor can bring you down in a hurry and I know that for a fact because mine went at 11pm on Route 95 in the middle of South Carolina. It also turns and turns without wanting to start.

The popping sound though wouldn't be a sensor but could have been the timing belt giving way. Afraid it's going to have to be diagnosed on site.

If you can get the code(s) that the computer set, that might help. If it's both the sensors, it's probably the timing belt.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 02:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well the dealer said the oil light probably came on because the car shut off.. BUT when I turn the key to the on position, after all the lights go out, the CEL and oil light stay illuminated which never happens.

No I didn't get the dummy codes from it.. totally slipped my mind and I forgot the trick lol.

But I believe it has the stock timing belt, but the timing belts are rated for like 100k miles or 120k miles or something.. 89k??? Thats ridiculous. It's sitting at a repair shop 60miles from me, and if this is expensive it's going to become gone very quickly. This car has been nothing but trouble and let downs.

Old 20 Jun 2009, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, hopefully it will be something small and you can get back on the road quickly. Pls let us know.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 02:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ya hopefully.

How much are tbelts? How long of a process/how hard is it on these? If this is the issue I think I might do it myself....

... then sell it.

Old 20 Jun 2009, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No sorry, it's not a back-yard mechanic's job. For a professional it's about 5-7 hours labor and it's not easy. Others have tried it and ended up taking it apart again because it's hard to line everything up and they end up being half a tooth off and a rough idle. The other bad news as you can imagine, for just the timing belt it run's somewhere between $800-1200 and we always tell everyone to change the water pump plus some of the accessories while they have everything apart.

Old 20 Jun 2009, 03:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Damn... 5-7 even for a proffessional? That blows. I have a buddy neighbor that just did his tbelt on his older nissan truck so maybe he can help me here. I'll have to talk to him about it.

Thanks for the input though.. not liking the results here.

Old 20 Jun 2009, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully, it's not the belt. Good luck.

Old 20 Jun 2009, 03:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thats what I'm hoping.. we'll see what the mechanic says though. If it's one of those sensors it might be a lot cheaper. Dealership said over the phone that the tbelt might have jumped a tooth because of ac condensation and the ac condensation may have burned out a sensor.

Sounds like a crock to me.

Old 20 Jun 2009, 03:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Never heard of anything like that before. Timing belt should be tight enough not to slip because of condensation EXCEPT if it's on it's way out (stretched). Then yes, it can slip but usually only a half or full tooth and the engine will still start. As far as A/C condensation burning out a sensor .....