Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
EVIC frozen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2009, 06:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Default EVIC frozen?

The strangest thing happened last night.

My EVIC screen froze and wouldn't take any input from the push button... it was locked at 89 degrees and the radio station display stayed the same even when I changed to another....

When I turned off the car all the internal displays shut down except for the EVIC. It stayed illuminated for a good 3 minutes before finally shutting down.

I then cranked the car and it worked fine, and it worked fine this morning on the way to work.

Just a glitch or am I about to have a EVIC failure?

Edit: Guess it was a glitch Been fine for the last few days.

Last edited by Travis2k7; 06 Jul 2009 at 10:13 am.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 10:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: EVIC frozen?

I usually do all city driving, short trips, but this past weekend I drove 200 miles and returned.

While on highway driving, I switched EVIC to indicate the rough fuel consumption rate (MPG). At the end of the trip the push button would not switch displays, it was just stuck here. I shut the car, removed key, and it still displayed the same. I even did gauge/lamp and code test procedures, and the EVIC was still stuck.

I let the car sit a couple hours and went back to the it. Opening the door, I saw that the "door ajar" symbol now appeared normally, and all was normal since then. I don't know why it got stuck, or what made it restore other than luck. I know some EVIC readings cannot be accessed unless car is in PARK.

I was tempted to briefly disconnect battery cable as I've seen some suggest to fix problems, but didn't want to mess anything else up.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin201 View Post
I usually do all city driving, short trips, but this past weekend I drove 200 miles and returned.

While on highway driving, I switched EVIC to indicate the rough fuel consumption rate (MPG). At the end of the trip the push button would not switch displays, it was just stuck here. I shut the car, removed key, and it still displayed the same. I even did gauge/lamp and code test procedures, and the EVIC was still stuck.

I let the car sit a couple hours and went back to the it. Opening the door, I saw that the "door ajar" symbol now appeared normally, and all was normal since then. I don't know why it got stuck, or what made it restore other than luck. I know some EVIC readings cannot be accessed unless car is in PARK.

I was tempted to briefly disconnect battery cable as I've seen some suggest to fix problems, but didn't want to mess anything else up.
------------------------------------------------
By disconnecting the battery for 5-10 will not affect any of your settings. It will allow the computer to readjust to your driving habits, which could be a good thing.

The EVIC mileage readout is a VERY rough estimate of your mileage. Maybe you should disconnect your cables any way.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Mar 2011, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I realize the reading is a very very rough estimate, was just curious to use it as a guide to try and improve my driving habits (60, vs 65, vs 67mph; cruise control vs foot on the gas, etc); and thanks for advice on briefly disconnecting battery doing no harm.