Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2009, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Issue?

I have an 08 Touring with about 10,000 miles. At times I can feel the car shake and not sure, but feels as though it's coming from the middle of the car I guess. It's almost like a sensation when you are driving a manual and slow down and don't down shift and the car starts to shake. It only lasts for about 1-2 seconds and seems to only happen if I'm driving up an incline at a certain speed I guess. Sorry, lot of guessing here because it happens very seldom and difficult to make it happen again to try to figure it out. Anyway, was concerned if I let it go it could turn into a larger problem and wondering if anyone has had this before before I take it in or if it may be transmission issues which I've read seems to be a problem with the PT when searching for similar symptoms.
Old 03 Jul 2009, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Issue?

The auto transaxle is a known weal link in the drive train but haven't heard of any going out with your kind of mileage. Any other symptoms besides that? Rough idle, a skip or miss when accelerating? Sounds almost like your in the wrong gear like you said with a manual trans. I can't find anything in a search except a shake right before you come to a stop.

Try re-setting the computer by taking off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes. This clears any codes (if you had any) and makes the computer learn the original settings once the cable is put back on and you go for a ride. Can't hurt. It's like re-booting your computer at home.
Old 03 Jul 2009, 12:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

IMHO, I would take it to the dealer and discuss it with them. It then will be documented for later if necessary.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 Jul 2009, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, I've basically already done the reset of the computer since I've been working on installing a new amp, etc. Other than the rare occasion of this happening, everything runs perfectly fine.

I bought the car used with 5,000 miles and I remembered it happened once when my dad was driving the first week of getting it. But at that time, I assumed it was just something on the road since it was so quick and there was some road construction on the road. Did not happen again for quite some time after that and has only happened maybe 6-7 times total. Anyway, I'll take it to a dealership and see what they say, but I always like to try to get an idea before going in just in case they try to BS me
Old 05 Jul 2009, 01:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

have someone check the rear trans mount ,maybe cracking from hard take offs or maybe hard downshifts.Good luck,Ray Newton Pteazer.