Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Map Sensor Issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2009, 11:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Map Sensor Issue?

I been having and issue with my 2001 PT Cruiser and was wondering if it could be a MAP sensor issue.

To describe the issue the car suddenly dies while I am driving it, and will not restart.
The first time this happened they replaced the fuel pump.
The second time it didn't start in the morning A different place did basic tune up, replace the battery, throttle body, and plugs/wires.
The third time this happened they wanted to change the fuel pump again when I let them know it had just been changed they change it again to find the car was still having issue then claimed to have found a chewed wire in the car going to the fuel pump and fixed it.

The fourth time I had it towed back to my house and put in the garage because I can't afford anymore expensive repairs. Each time the car died I was a far distance from my home and had it towed to different shops.
Each time the shop have also mentioned that they feed fuel into the air intake and the car would start, which led them to the fuel pump. Now I read the MAP sensor would cause fuel not to get to the engine so could it be the issue, Anyone have any other Ideas?

TIA
Old 08 Jul 2009, 05:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Map Sensor Issue?

Welcome.
Only thing wrong with the MAP sensor theory - how does car run otherwise?
I'm thinking an electrical fault with ignition.
Start with basics - check for spark.
The one place seems to have checked for fuel, and found none - find out what causes fuel injectors to "fire" - I suspect engine computer...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jul 2009, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The car actually runs really well.
I had got a new PCM, programed and all, Haven't had a chance to fully try it. I put it in, but hadn't started the car yet. The car had been sitting a couple months, so I couldn't say it wouldn't start because of the same issue or it had because been sitting.(last time I let it sit I had to charge the battery twice before it would start) I had taken off the throttle body and intake after the battery died, and haven't put it back yet.
I was really trying to access weather or not I should try to change the MAP sensor too. Possibly a map sensor short or break would cause an issue?
Old 10 Jul 2009, 02:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have seen problems like this before. (even had it happen to me) It could be the Cam Position Sensor. It is just a magnetic sensor and 1 sec you car runs fine and then it will just shut off and the check engine light will come on. Just a suggestion on other possibles. And 99% of the time the PCM is blamed for this problem even when its still happening.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by presman View Post
I was really trying to access weather or not I should try to change the MAP sensor too. Possibly a map sensor short or break would cause an issue?
Yes it would cause an issue but not bring you car to a dead stop and since it's a sensor you should have had the engine light come on and a code set in the computer.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 03:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yes it would cause an issue but not bring you car to a dead stop and since it's a sensor you should have had the engine light come on and a code set in the computer.
That definitely answers my question. I kept forgetting to mention that no trouble codes would show up on the computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotsobright1
I have seen problems like this before. (even had it happen to me) It could be the Cam Position Sensor. It is just a magnetic sensor and 1 sec you car runs fine and then it will just shut off and the check engine light will come on. Just a suggestion on other possibles. And 99% of the time the PCM is blamed for this problem even when its still happening.
Thanks, for your help! I will check this. I am getting that it didn't set off any other computer codes? I will probably replace the sensor just to cover my grounds. Both actually.
It is a silent breakdown that is for sure. The last time it broke down my friend was in the car didn't know why I was pulling over. I just glad I was in the right lane each time.