PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating, scared to death!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2009, 03:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Zombiess
Default Overheating, scared to death!

I've been reading about all these problems with overheating, and now I'm just scared to death. I was driving it home when I got my 2001 PT Limited Cruiser which had about 58,000 miles on it. It was a little above half and then went down once I started going. When I actually drove it into town, it was getting a little warmer as I was sitting at a stop light, but once I got going it cooled down again. Since I recently just put coolant in it, it seemed to go a little above the half mark point on the temperature gauge and then just stayed there. Should I be worried now since it's doing that? Should I look into getting all the fans checked, the head gaskets checked and all the other things you guys have previously mentioned?

I would much appreciate it!
Old 06 Jul 2009, 06:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating, scared to death!

You don't sound like your the kind that's going to do your own work so the first thing is to ask around and find a trusted mechanic.

You shouldn't have to add coolant unless it's leaking somewhere and you have to find out where. I was going to say right from the start that your fan could be your problem until you mentioned the loss of coolant. That's your first priority. The temperature guage shouldn't go above half way. Adding the lost coolant helped but you probably have trapped air in the system so you need to have it bled out to get rid of it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jul 2009, 10:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiess View Post
Since I recently just put coolant in it, it seemed to go a little above the half mark point on the temperature gauge and then just stayed there. Should I be worried now since it's doing that? Should I look into getting all the fans checked, the head gaskets checked and all the other things you guys have previously mentioned?

I would much appreciate it!
I would definitely say to get it looked at by a trusted mechanic.

I've put 5k miles on my PT since I bought it and my temp gauge has never gotten to half. It goes to about 1/16 of an inch below half and stays there, both at idle and while driving. From what I've read that seems to be the normal operating gauge reading.
Old 06 Jul 2009, 11:28 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis2k7 View Post
I would definitely say to get it looked at by a trusted mechanic.

I've put 5k miles on my PT since I bought it and my temp gauge has never gotten to half. It goes to about 1/16 of an inch below half and stays there, both at idle and while driving. From what I've read that seems to be the normal operating gauge reading.
Mine too, the only time I saw it going above half was in the nevada desert, going 65 uphill. As soon as I was on the hill the temperature retreated to normal...
Old 06 Jul 2009, 11:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

I don't know if it lost coolant, but when I got it home from the time I got it, there was no coolant in it. I don't know if it lost any. I will check before I head out today. It was weird, because it would rise above half while sitting, but never in the red mark, and it just stays at that one mark a little above half, well when I was driving to my Dad's.
Old 06 Jul 2009, 03:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiess View Post
I don't know if it lost coolant, but when I got it home from the time I got it, there was no coolant in it. I don't know if it lost any. I will check before I head out today. It was weird, because it would rise above half while sitting, but never in the red mark, and it just stays at that one mark a little above half, well when I was driving to my Dad's.
I think you may have an air lock, possibly in the heater. Just below the neck of the upper radiator hose is a bleed off valve. Make sure the coolant is full and hot, crack open the valve, be careful as it is HOT to bleed the air out. You may have to do this a few times. The other suggestion is to take it to a trusted mechanic to do this.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Jul 2009, 03:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I took it to the Dealership that sold me it and told them I've only had it for two days, and I only drove it once. So the lady who sold me it is making sure it's getting looked at THOROUGHLY. My sister drove it and she said it did fine, but I want to make sure nothing is going on with it so I can stop worrying lol.
Old 06 Jul 2009, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good Choice!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Jul 2009, 06:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Alright guys! The dealership called me and told me my head gasket was the problem, something like the coolant was just sitting there and not going through the engine like it should, also they replaced the thermostat. He also said that there were no leaks that they could see, so they did more investigating and that's when they found that the head gasket was bad. I believe that they found the problem, and he explained that that was the reason why my temperature gauge was going up and down all the time! Oh, I'm glad I found out now like my gut told me instead of waiting like everyone else said. Thanks you guys! I really appreciated what you've told me.
Old 06 Jul 2009, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad they are going to fix it for you, hopefully at no cost to you. Shows they didn't do a very good job of checking the cruiser out before they sold it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.