Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Now my PT is shaking! UGH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2009, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Now my PT is shaking! UGH!

After conquering the bent valves incident, I thought I would have some peace for awhile. Not to be the case.

In the last few days, my car has started to shake. From what I can tell, there does not appear to be any set speed that it needs before it starts. First thing I noticed is that the steering wheel will visibly shake. But then when I was a passenger in it this weekend, much to my disgust, I noticed that the whole darn car is slightly vibrating.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

Denise
Old 06 Jul 2009, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Now my PT is shaking! UGH!

Denise,

Sorry, lots of reason for your cruiser to shake. Bad part in the front suspension, lug nuts coming loose, engine mount broke, wheel weight(s) fell off. You'll have to get it to a shop to look over the whole front end. Some shops will help you out for free with an inspection of the front end hoping you will buy whatever parts you need from them. Sorry I can't be more specific on what's wrong.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 06:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Only when moving, or at idle, too?
When giving gas, or even while coasting?
Try to get some more clues.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jul 2009, 07:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Only when moving, or at idle, too?
When giving gas, or even while coasting?
Try to get some more clues.
It does not do it when it it is idle. It does it when you give it gas or are coasting. I drive often on a highway back and forth from work, and I notice it especially then. But then when I am pulling away from signal, there ya go, it starts to shake.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 08:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, I paid more attention to the shaking issue with my car this morning when I drove it.

At idle, it does not shake, shimmy or jerk at all. When I start to accelerate it will jerk back and forth to the left and right. The jerk is very strong and it is slow, almost rhythmic. As I start to go faster, the jerking will stop and it will the wheel will start to shake and then so will the car. Since I have ridden in the driver and passenger side when it has done it, I think the shaking is more pronounced on the drivers side of the car if that makes any sense.

It was kind of scary, so I stayed off the highways and went backroads to work. I was afraid the wheels would fall off.

Before I got the timing belt and all that changed, it sat for quite awhile, so I don't know if could be a tire thing that just reared its ugly head weeks after the repair on it. Or WHAT??

Not sure what to check first if anyone has any ideas. My husband is going to check the tires and lugnuts today. Anything he should look for?

Thanks!

Denise
Old 08 Jul 2009, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Denise,

It could be very simple. The motor mount has to un-done when doing the timing belt. It's a good chance you mechanic (or whoever did the timing belt) forgot to hook up the motor mount when they were done with the belt change. Have it checked out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had a water pump and timing belt replaced, and noticed the car vibrating iradically afterward. I read in the Cruiser manual that the torque struts and right engine mount bracket had to be removed to replace the timing belt.

The manual indicated the upper and torque struts need to be adjusted toger to properly position the engine load, and this adjustment MUST be performed if a torque strut bolt is loosened for any engine component replacement procedures or other reasons.

I believe something went wrong during the replacement of my timing belt. Hope this helps!