PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Issue With my 2001 PT Air Filter/Fuel Filter/Tranny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2009, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Rekoj
Default Issue With my 2001 PT Air Filter/Fuel Filter/Tranny

Hi , I'm New here just been a lurker forever then decided to sign up.

Got a question, Not sure any can help me Butttt..

So i noticed something wrong with my Baby its a 2001, Automatic trans about 99,000 miles , Nothing major has ever gone bad on this puppy but no warranty , i bought it used and the jerk salesmen neglected to tell me the warranty was up in a month , and i am not rich man nor a smart one so i did not get extended one anyways,when i start it up it kinda putters pu pu puuu , pu puu putters and shakes then while from 1st to second it seems to not wanna go like its stumbling and still kind puttering and i hear snapping in the back like air popping as i am going from 1st to 2nd .. ect .. but when I'm about to hit say 25 mph and up .. i have no problems with the transmission or nothing no puttering , no air sound snapping.

the puttering and the air snapping tells me something is Wrong or going to be really wrong.

I am at a loss on what i need to do , i am a poor poor man and don't want to pay some guy 50 bucks to look at my car and then tell me its gonna cost me 1000 to fix it .. i just don't have that kinda money. I do not mind getting my hands dirty and looking into fixing this on my own , so i was asking the advice of you PT pros

A little back ground on when i think this started, not 100% accurate it began here but , when we started getting a lot of rain my tires were really Bald , i hod to wait about 2 weeks for a paycheck to get new tires. Well while driving in the rain i noticed i was pushing the gas pedal down but getting no where and my Rpms were going and my Engine was revving up but i was still at say like 40 Mph , kinda like i was getting no traction from the tires being bald, so fast forward to 3 days of this with rain , i just wonder if i did some damage or not.

Any one got any ideas i would love to hear them Feel free to email me jokerluelz@hotmail.com
Old 08 Jul 2009, 03:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Issue With my 2001 PT Air Filter/Fuel Filter/Tranny

When was the last time the sparkplugs were replaced? Are you still using the crappy OEM sparkplug wires? How clean does the air filter look?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 08 Jul 2009, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As Mean Green just said, start with a tune-up. New plugs and wires. If you can't do it yourself, the labor will be your most expensive part because the upper manifold has to come off. Somewhere around $100-200 depending on where you go.

The REALLY bad news is that you bought your PT at the exact time your should be changing the timing belt and water pump. Unless the place you bought it from said it was already done, your looking at a $1000 to do it.

When the timing belt starts to slip (before it breaks) you could start to see all kinds of problems.

You said it was revving up and not going anywhere but that was before you got the new tires, right? If not, you have tranny problems. The only way you wouldn't have hurt something while spinning is if you over-revved the engine or the tires caught dry ground while they were spinning and you lurched forward hard.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No i bought it when it was at 13,000 miles..

I will look into replaced the spark plugs and wires thats a first step .. thanks i will reply back once i get that all figured out ..
Old 08 Jul 2009, 04:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yep, CREWZIN is right. You'd better see about getting the waterpump and timing belt replaced. It is overdue and could break.

Old 08 Jul 2009, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's to help you do the plugs and wires.
Spark Plug Guide
Gap plugs at 0.040

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Jul 2009, 10:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok Mean Green First off Thanks so dang Much .. i think you hit the nail on the head , And QuicksilverDon .. thanks for the link to the How to do your sparks and wires..

I went out got new plugs and wires today at autozone .. took my printed out how to do , changed out the plugs and the wires .. fired that baby up .. and it was purrrrrrrring like a kitten .. not sure how much it woulda cost me in a shop .. but for parts and tools i spent about 100 bucks and i get to keep the tools .. so not sure if i saved or lost money .. but it seems to be working now ..

Thanks to all who had some advice i will look into replacing the other parts as soon as i have the funds .. you guys all rock ..
Old 10 Jul 2009, 12:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekoj View Post
Ok Mean Green First off Thanks so dang Much .. i think you hit the nail on the head , And QuicksilverDon .. thanks for the link to the How to do your sparks and wires..

I went out got new plugs and wires today at autozone .. took my printed out how to do , changed out the plugs and the wires .. fired that baby up .. and it was purrrrrrrring like a kitten .. not sure how much it woulda cost me in a shop .. but for parts and tools i spent about 100 bucks and i get to keep the tools .. so not sure if i saved or lost money .. but it seems to be working now ..

Thanks to all who had some advice i will look into replacing the other parts as soon as i have the funds .. you guys all rock ..
Glad to hear it. You did well.