PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2009, 04:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile PT problems

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here. I have a 2001 LE PT Cruiser. I have been having problems with the display on my radio not working, my horn not working, my sunroof,rear wiper. Yesterday I had my brake light, ABS light, and TRAC OFF light come on. I ran a test to see what codes I could get. The only one I got was in reference to a power steering switch failure. I have been to Advance Auto to let them run it on the machine, no answers. I went to a mechanic today and they have no answers, and the only one that may have answers can't look at it right now. He is very BUSY!! Just wondering if anyone else has had any of these problems? I'm thinking maybe the radio, sunroof, rear wiper deal is related since they are on the same row in the fuse box. Don't know about the horn or why the brake lights are lighting up. I know I sound dumb and I have been treated like it today(one of the mechanics was really rude)so I thought I would take a chance on here and see if someone could enlighten me. Sorry for the long post. Thanks.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 04:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT problems

How long have you owned your cruiser? Is there a history with it? Sounds like you have massive electrical problems with everything showing up in a couple days time.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have been the only owner of this car and will have had it for 8 years in October. The only other issue I have had was the transmission that had to be replaced 3 years ago. Otherwise no problems. I'm really upset about it all because I LOVE my car. Everybody always picks on me and says when are you going to quit driving that car and I'm like I am not going to quit driving it until it quits on me and if that were the case I would probably have the engine rebuilt. There are no other cars on the face of this earth I would take over my PT.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, I guess that leaves out the possibility that it was one of thousands of cars that get caught in a hurricane, went underwater and then sold to an unsuspecting buyer.

I'm no mechanic so hopefully one of them will come along and give you someplace to start. Sounds like a massive electrical failure. I've heard about the horn and radio problems together and it was with the clock spring in the steering column but trying to tie that in with the sunroof, rear wiper, ABS, trak and brake light doesn't add up. Could be the computer going south. Nowadays the computer just about controls or has a hand in controlling everything.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 05:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your replies. I hope it won't be too complicated. Computers are great, but they aren't so great in these cars. We have gotten so comfortable with relying on them to do it all. My husband actually works with computers.....too bad this is one he can't fix
Old 09 Jul 2009, 05:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Don't worry about it. I'm the laughingstock at work for driving a clown car.

How many miles are on your PT?
Old 09 Jul 2009, 05:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Don't worry, my friends call me "soccer mom" because of my car.... I'm a 22 year old guy....
Old 09 Jul 2009, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am going on 115,000 miles on my car. I haven't worked in a year and a half (had some health problems) so I haven't been putting the miles on like I was. It's funny my former employer called and wanted to know if I would be interested in coming back to work and now it looks like I may not have transportation to do so. I haven't heard anyone call a PT a clown car. I did have a man tell me it looked like I was driving a hearse, but I think he was just a "wee" bit jealous of it. I still get people checking my car out, had 2 men today looking at it. I figured people would be tired of them by now.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Strange. Don't know what you look like but you sure it wasn't there excuse to check you out?

With that kind of mileage on your PT, and it may be the last thing to think about right now, but have the timing belt and water pump been changed on your PT?

Old 09 Jul 2009, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry it took me so long to reply....went outside for a few minutes. No I don't think those men were checking me out, they may have been but I think it was the car. I still have people from a couple of PT Cruiser clubs coming up and trying to get me to join. My car is not fancy at all, only the rear spoiler and the chrome/silver looking door pillars on the outside. I had thought about really personalizing it, but I just love it the way it is. I think it's the color that attracts people because I have only seen 2 more like it in almost 8 years time around here and one of them was 45 minutes away from where I live. I haven't had those things done....I was actually getting ready some to have some work done on it before this stuff happened, not mechanical, just cosmetic, there are a few little tiny little dings, stuff like that.