Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'06 sputtered out and won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2009, 09:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to FrankieSixxxgun Send a message via AIM to FrankieSixxxgun Send a message via MSN to FrankieSixxxgun Send a message via Yahoo to FrankieSixxxgun
Default '06 sputtered out and won't start

Hey everybody, just signed up to the forum because I need a little help with my wife's '06 PT Touring. She was driving home from work yesterday and her car knocked a few times, sputtered out, and stalled. She got it towed home and I was able to check it out. The engine definitely has spark, I checked with a screwdriver in the boot, and should be getting air as I opened the air cleaner box while trying to start it. I can hear the fuel pump engage when the key is put to ON, and the car turns over but never fires up. What should I check next? Thanks in advance!
Old 11 Jul 2009, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '06 sputtered out and won't start

Please check the computer for fault codes.

Frankie,

Do you know of our PT Club in Tampa? Great friendly group of people. Log onto Tampa Bay PT Crusier Club - Home Page and our forum is under "messages". There's no monthly meetings or dues. We just find out what's happening and where to meet for shows and eating out through the website.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Jul 2009 at 09:43 am.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to FrankieSixxxgun Send a message via AIM to FrankieSixxxgun Send a message via MSN to FrankieSixxxgun Send a message via Yahoo to FrankieSixxxgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Please check the computer for fault codes.

Frankie,

Do you know of our PT Club in Tampa? Great friendly group of people. Log onto Tampa Bay PT Crusier Club - Home Page and our forum is under "messages". There's no monthly meetings or dues. We just find out what's happening and where to meet for shows and eating out through the website.
Sorry for the ignorance, but how do I check an '06? I think it's OBDIII, isn't it? I tried the sequence in the sticky, but no dice.

I did not know about it, but I will let her know for sure.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 09:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You said you tried the "sticky" but it didn't work? I just made that up while I was waiting for your reply. Pls try again as it might have been a different "stickY' although I don't remember making another one (getting old). Make sure you turn the key 3 times within 5 seconds. Too much time and it won't work.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 10:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

I got it, you gotta twist that key pretty quickly. The odometer just read ------ for a few seconds then says -done-, so I guess there's no codes in there? Which one of the wires on the car is the MAF? I know when I debug Fords (like my Town Car) I unplug the MAF to put it in open loop. On the throttle body there's a wire on top and a wire on the side, so I assume one is the IAC and one is the MAF. Should I yank one and see if it fires up?

Last edited by FrankieSixxxgun; 11 Jul 2009 at 11:02 am.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 11:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, you have no codes. You can try unhooking either the MAP or IAC (easy to get at both) but I don't think it will help but can't hurt.

On the PT, there is no MAF, but there is a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. The Map is located in the back of the upper manifold: see photo below.

The IAC (Idle Air Controller) is in back of, and attached to the throttle body. See second picture.

MAP

IAC

Old 11 Jul 2009, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh good! I'm glad cars are going back to MAP and away from MAF. Lemme go unplug the thing and see if maybe it fires up for some strange reason.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 11:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ready for this to turn into the best thread ever? I'm pretty sure my wife filled the tank with diesel!

What's the best way to dump the tank and prime the injectors? Sigh... it's a good thing she's hot!
Old 11 Jul 2009, 11:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieSixxxgun View Post
Sigh... it's a good thing she's hot!
Can't do anything with a picture.

Are you gonna try and do it yourself? Not sure exactly what's involved. You will have to drop the tank, pull the pump and filter (see picture below) and somehow clean out the lines. I think the injectors can be cleaned with a hook up to the fuel line. Not really sure what else in involved. Maybe if one of the mechanics on this forum see this thread they can tell you what else you need to do.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Jul 2009 at 11:47 am.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 05:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieSixxxgun View Post
Ready for this to turn into the best thread ever? I'm pretty sure my wife filled the tank with diesel!

What's the best way to dump the tank and prime the injectors? Sigh... it's a good thing she's hot!
Yeah, I LOL'ed.

Here's one for ya... My girlfriend is blonde. We've been dating since Feb '08, shortly after she moved down here from Minnesota.

She said to me on our first date "Why are there so many Green Bay Packer fans in Georgia?"

I've never laughed so hard in my life.

I don't think I would rank it up there with putting diesel in a PT but still...