PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Replacing Ignition Lock Cylinder--Done

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2009, 12:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Replacing Ignition Lock Cylinder--Done

I replaced the ignition lock cylinder on my 2001 yesterday. It took about 10 minutes, before breakfast.

Here's the process from the factory service manual, with some annotations. It is not necessary to remove the steering wheel. It requires having a serviceable key and the lock cylinder has to be capable of being manipulated into the RUN position.

REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect negative battery cable.
(2) Place key cylinder in RUN position. [This took some manipulating due to the cylinder's condition.] Through the hole in the lower shroud, depress lock cylinder retaining tab and remove key cylinder. [I used a No. 2 square drive screwdriver.]

INSTALLATION
(1) Install key in lock cylinder. Turn key to run position (retaining tab on lock cylinder can be depressed). [As simple as it sounds.]
(2) The shaft at the end of the lock cylinder aligns with the end of the housing. To align the socket with the lock cylinder, ensure the socket is in the run position. [The socket is the place in the steering column that the cylinder fits into. If you didn't disturb the electrical part of the assembly, it is already aligned.]
(3) Align the lock cylinder with the grooves in the housing. Slide the lock cylinder into the housing until the tab sticks through the opening of the housing. [Actually, you will feel the -snap- as it engages.]
(4) Turn key to the OFF position. Remove the key.
(5) Connect negative terminal to battery.
end quote.

It's on page 8D-11 of the factory manual. It's way simpler than it seems like it should be. The last time I did this, it was on a 1993 Saturn SW2, and it took two hours. And required removing the steering wheel. The worst part was $157 for the new cylinder for the PT, keyed to match, at the dealer. Beats getting stuck not starting at 115F outside. Or the price of a tow.

Last edited by Matt42; 13 Jul 2009 at 12:10 am. Reason: found a typogographical eror
Old 20 May 2010, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Ignition Lock Cylinder--Done

10 mins? that's all it took? my so called mechanic friend did my ignition lock cylinder for 40 mins. lol.. nice write up. Could've been better if coupled with pictures.

Last edited by daviddrift; 24 May 2010 at 09:10 pm.
Old 20 May 2010, 10:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Ignition Lock Cylinder--Done

Would have taken 1/2 hour to find the camera. Then it was mostly done by feel.