Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Filter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2009, 07:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Oil Filter

Just curious what brand and type of oil filter various owners on here are using. I've been using the K & N for the Turbo. I've read various posts about various brands quality but I wonder how important some of that is if your changing your oil every 3,000 miles and you drive mostly on paved urban roads.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 14 Jul 2009, 09:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Filter

My point of view. If you change oil every 3,000 miles, then almost any brand name filter will do. I particularly don't use Fram because of things I've read about but probably wouldn't hurt to use that either if you stick to a regular oil and filter change. Almost 100,000 on mine and runs like new.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 02:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
My point of view. If you change oil every 3,000 miles, then almost any brand name filter will do. I particularly don't use Fram because of things I've read about but probably wouldn't hurt to use that either if you stick to a regular oil and filter change. Almost 100,000 on mine and runs like new.
Kind of what my thought process was taking me. On our Caravan I've always used Purolators equal to the PH8. The stock filter is one of the stubby ones and the PH8 type is the full length one like Chrysler used to use before going to the shorter one. More filter material is always better in my thought process.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 14 Jul 2009, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes. I use a quart size filter in my Vette instead of the pint size filter it calls for. I don't think there is a bigger fitler for the PT.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 02:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Depends whether you are using the cheap Fram or the better and more expensive one. Big difference between the two. With dyno oil you want to change every 3k, but with synthetic you can go every 6k.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic

Last edited by Mean Green; 14 Jul 2009 at 02:48 pm.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Depends whether you are using the cheap Fram or the better and more expensive one. Big difference between the two.

There probably is Tom and I think I was using the better one (black non-slip top) but I read some things on the internet about Fram being taken over by another company and the filters being put together cheaper (might have been the less expensive ones) and from then on I switched brands. Mind you, I used Fram for a number of years and it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Old 14 Jul 2009, 03:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
There probably is Tom and I think I was using the better one (black non-slip top) but I read some things on the internet about Fram being taken over by another company and the filters being put together cheaper (might have been the less expensive ones) and from then on I switched brands. Mind you, I used Fram for a number of years and it didn't seem to hurt anything.
Yeah, I did a check over the internet about testing oil filters and the cheap Fram ones were said to be made rather poorly while they said the move expensive ones are made a lot better. I use only the most expensive one. I think it's the Tough Guard and it is the most expensive of the lot. I know the most expensive ones aren't always the best, but they said they were well constructed.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 14 Jul 2009, 04:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Around 2001 time frame--then DiamlerChrysler came out with TSB listing the acceptable filters for thier vehicles--FRAM was not on the list.....the reason being that the FRAM filters for Diesels were glued at the juncture of the fabric element and the can top. The properties of the diesel was causin the element's glue to break down and further casusing some clogging issues in the oil galleys of the engine.

That has been corrected. I say again--That has been corrected.

FRAM was restored to good standing sometime prior to my retirment in 2007. I have not heard any thing from a reliable source since.

If someone still in the dealership end of things could do a TSB search and get us the latest info--greatly appreciated!
Old 14 Jul 2009, 06:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yes. I use a quart size filter in my Vette instead of the pint size filter it calls for. I don't think there is a bigger fitler for the PT.
If I can recall correctly, the Turbo filter is longer than the NA one.

But it's so long that he blocks the oil drain plug.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
If I can recall correctly, the Turbo filter is longer than the NA one.

But it's so long that he blocks the oil drain plug.
Then I take it the Turbo engine has the drain plug in a different place ??