Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another overheater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2009, 01:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another overheater

I have a 2001 Limited with 85K that has been surprisingly well behaved until just a couple of months ago. It now has suspension and cooling issues. I think I've read enough on this forum to fix the suspension problems but I'm not so sure about the cooling. When I'm in stop and go city traffic for a length of time on a hot day it begins to overheat. This hasn't been a big problem because I mainly drive on the highway and country roads. The fan does not kick on for low or high speeds, my AC doesn't work, but I was able to jump the fan to work. I'm slightly confused about what I've read here. In one topic it was mentioned that I would only be able to jump the fan to make it work on one speed (that's what happened, I think high) and in another topic it was said that one speed of the fan may not work (how do you check the other, besides just turning on the AC?). I've checked/replaced the relays and AC fuse. I flushed the radiator put on a new cap, and it's keeping the car cool enough to last when you would think it should be overheating. I'm guessing the low speed doesn't come on because the AC isn't working (or vice versa), but why wouldn't the high speed work? Any suggestions for what I should do next? I'm ready to replace the fan, but I need convincing that it'll solve the problem.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 12:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Another overheater

I found an "expert" chrlyser mechanic opinion on another site regarding the fan speeds:

"...I have a couple of follow up questions .... what could be causing the low side of the motor to burn out and does the low side have to work for the high side to work? From what I have been able to determine the low kicks in when the ac is turned on and the high side kicks in when the proper temp is reached.

Answer
there is no low side and high side to any motor the motor only work when X mount of volts are presented to it so a low side part would be say 6volts and the high side 12 volts the motor does not care how many volts U give it. as I said b4 check the relays and short to grounds for the fuse being blown there is also a fuse for the low side relay. "

This would indicate that my fan is fine, it's just not getting the power to run, whether it be because of the relays, fuses, wires, sensors, or PCM. Relays and fuses are fine, I'll play with the wires a little ( it seems that some people have "fixed" their fan by disconnecting and reconnecting, but how do I check if it's sensors, PCM or anything else I didn't mention? (there were no error codes displayed).
Old 16 Jul 2009, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You said "I've checked/replaced the relays and AC fuse". But did you check the fan fuse? There's a separate fuse just for the fan. It's in the PDC (Power Dist Center) in the engine compartment. It's a 40 amp fuse and it's number #5

Old 16 Jul 2009, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply, Crewzin. You're right, I didn't say anything about the fan fuse. I checked it by switching it with the heated seat fuse and it works fine. I'll mess with the wires tonight, but other than that I'm out of ideas. Any more suggestions?
Old 16 Jul 2009, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, one of the things that turn the fan on besides the relays and computer is the ECT. It's located right below the thermostat.

Old 17 Jul 2009, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Does the ECT control the temperature gauge, or is that a separate sensor? My gauge workes fine, pins the temp at the half-way point ---until it starts to overheat.