Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Performance Intake Kits Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2009, 05:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Performance Intake Kits Help

Hi Every one new to this Forum I could use some help.

I just bought this 2004 PT Cruiser non Turbo and I was thinking of getting a
Performance Intake Kit .My question is can i use them for non Turbo PTC?

I have a box like airfilter on mine . I been looking at two models one has a electric fan inside the other one is just a Custom air box for cool, dense air

And do they really work as claim:

# Quicker Acceleration: Reduces
# More Power
# Improves Fuel Economy: Lower EGT's and air
Old 14 Jul 2009, 06:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Performance Intake Kits Help

Welcome to the Forum!!! There are more claims than you can stand. That said, most have recommended the K&N drop in for the air filter. I went with the AiRaid system, works good and sounds good also. I did find that I picked up a couple of highway MPG with it.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 Jul 2009, 07:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Stay away from the one with the electric fan. The three big names in afdtermarket cool air intakes are K&N (as Hooligan said), AirRaid (as Hooligan has) and Volant (I used to have). All three draw air from the hole in the fender wall and keep the engine heat away from the intake.

A slight better pick-up from a stand still and a possible slight MPG increase is about all you can expect. Don't expect to turn the N/A cruiser into a racer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 08:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

all the ones i find are for turbo PTC any one that would fit mine?
the other question i have once installed do i cover the top again or left open?
Old 14 Jul 2009, 08:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it's for the turbo it won't fit because the throttle body is facing a different direction than the non-turbo. Look at www.RaceandStreet.com under the performance section. The top of them stay open because when the hood is closed it should make the box around the filter into a closed system and stop the warm engine air from getting to the filter.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 09:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Performance Intake Kits Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Stay away from the one with the electric fan. The three big names in afdtermarket cool air intakes are K&N (as Hooligan said), AirRaid (as Hooligan has) and Volant (I used to have). All three draw air from the hole in the fender wall and keep the engine heat away from the intake.

A slight better pick-up from a stand still and a possible slight MPG increase is about all you can expect. Don't expect to turn the N/A cruiser into a racer.
When I went to buy mine ( ended up with AirRaid system), there was no Volant product for 2006 and up.

BTW - Like Hooligan I have the AirRaid intake stsem. The biggest benefit that you will get with the non-turbo is a much quicker pedal response. The air box is great as a sound repressor; but, it also starves the engine of needed air. Thus, the slight improvement in mileage. I can get around 30 mpog highway with the a/c off.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 14 Jul 2009 at 09:43 pm.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 07:21 am
Cool Cruiser

I also have the Airaid one. I brought it for two reasons. I like the sound and the look of it when the hood is raised.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 15 Jul 2009, 06:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

I recently put a custom SRI on my PT. Though, I didn't get much more than a tank or so out of it before my engine blew (long story.. timing belt slipped a tooth), but I definately noticed a slight improvement in mileage. And I'm sure once I get used to the neat new sound from my new mod and stop hitting the gas so hard, the mileage will get even better.

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 15 Jul 2009, 08:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
I recently put a custom SRI on my PT. Though, I didn't get much more than a tank or so out of it before my engine blew (long story.. timing belt slipped a tooth), but I definately noticed a slight improvement in mileage. And I'm sure once I get used to the neat new sound from my new mod and stop hitting the gas so hard, the mileage will get even better.
I want you to tell me exactly how a heat sucking open intake can give better mpg, especially with a pcm that adjusts to certain set parameters no matter how much air you ram up the intake.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 15 Jul 2009, 08:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

So what your saying is not to install one?