Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
oil change easy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2009, 11:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Default oil change easy?

I have a 2004 pt cruiser how difficult is it to change the oil ? one look under the hood theres no room to really work .

Can i remove the oil filter from the hood area or dose it have to be done from the bottom? this will be my first time changing it on the pt cruiser
Old 15 Jul 2009, 01:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: oil change easy?

From the bottom but pretty easy.

I've never heard of an oil change done from the hood though. You always have to go under to remove the drain plug at least.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you have a auto store nearby, you can get a set of ramps (Rhino ramps are what most of us have, any will work). Just run the car up on it and you will be able to drain out the oil and remove the filter, it is a easy job. Just remember to replace the plug. Seriously people have forgotten to do that. Do NOT overtighten the plug as you may strip it out. Screw in with fingers all of the way and then tighten with a socket.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Jul 2009, 02:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

on my 1983 dodge truck i can remove the oil filter from the hood area , the drain part yea under the truck.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 02:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

thanks for the info guys very helpful thanks.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 04:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've seen kits where you can put a tube down the dipstick tube and drain the oil that way. I don't think it works well and since I need to get under the vehicle to remove the oil filter, I can't see the advantage.

Close to 40 years ago I had a Dodge Lancer with a slant-six engine. Love the car! I could change the oil filter from under the hood. It sat right on the side of the block facing the passengers side. Since the engine was slanted towards the drivers side, their was all types of room.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 15 Jul 2009, 06:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon666 View Post
I have a 2004 pt cruiser how difficult is it to change the oil ? one look under the hood theres no room to really work .

Can i remove the oil filter from the hood area or dose it have to be done from the bottom? this will be my first time changing it on the pt cruiser
I am new here and bought a 2007 PT Cruiser on Saturday and changed the oil yesterday and was very easy but i am a mechanic.I jacked up one side of the car enough to get under and loosen the drain plug on the pan and the oil filter was right next to the plug.Then on top of the engine,look for the oil fill cap and use a funnel to put the oil in.This was the easiest oil change that i have ever done on a car.It took five quarts of oil total.If you have a friend that can help you with it the first time so you know how to would be good also,good luck.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 08:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And spend a few bucks more and use synthetic. WalMart sells Mobil 1 in 5-quart jugs pretty reasonable and the PT takes 5 quarts....
For a free funnel, take a 2-liter soda bottle and cut the bottom off...
For the filter, I use a Sears Strap wrench - plastic handle, rubber strap.
Drain plug is 13mm.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles