PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stiff transmission when hot?

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2009, 04:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stiff transmission when hot?

I just bought a 2006 base PTC with a 5 speed manual tranny. I have noticed that in the morning when I first drive it, it shifts very smoothly and positively. After it warms up, it becomes difficult to shift. It requires a firm shove and sometimes I have to double clutch to get it into gear. Occasionally just refusing to go into gear... Is this normal with cruisers? The dealer told me they changed out all the fluids before handing me the keys. I checked fluid levels including the brake/clutch master cylinder and they are all full. Now that I have one and have read some of the other threads, I am wondering what may be going on. I did purchase an extended warranty(something I dont normally do) so this may be a good thing.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 15 Jul 2009, 04:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Stiff transmission when hot?

I know the auto tranny is a weak link in the PT... Many reports of it failing prematurely.

I had my tranny flushed for $150 shortly after I bought my PT in March.

Not sure of the history with the manual trannys but I'd be happy you bought an extended warranty.

Last edited by Travis2k7; 15 Jul 2009 at 04:44 pm.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Was it a Chrysler dealer? Might have put in wrong fluid.
It's not normal - take it back - and don't pay for it.
How many miles?
767skyking likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Jul 2009, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

28K miles...it is from a chrysler dealer....I will give them a call. thanks!
Old 16 Jul 2009, 02:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree. It sounds like they used the wrong fluid in the tranny. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 16 Jul 2009, 10:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update
Took the PTC into the dealer told them what wasnt right. Found out that it had just gotten a brand new transmission not even a month ago under warranty by the previous owner. Now my new baby is sitting waiting for a mechanic to look at it. Service manager showed me the work orders for two other cruisers with the same problem...he was waiting for a call back from chrysler rep and was going to add my problem to the list....guess we shall see what happens next? clutch? Brake/clutch master cylinder? I know I am going to drive the hell out of it after I get it back and make sure ti works properly.

While talking to the sm, my wife spots a surf blue PTC on the lot and we got to take it home...she may actually give up her baby(vw new beetle) jury is still out she is conflicted over which one to keep....last thing that i expected....
Old 17 Jul 2009, 08:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Took my wifes old car to the dealer today...she now owns a surf blue PTC 2009.

While we were there, talked to the service manager and met the mechanic who is working on my ptc and the others with the same problem. He thinks it is the clutch. Service manager told him in front of me to document everything, because he has to try and justify them fixing it under warranty because the clutch is a 12/12000 warranty. When I asked why he told me his best "guess" was that a majority of people who buy a standard tranny dont have a clue how to drive it hence they will burn them out sooner and they get to charge for the repair. I told him i thought they had a bad design on the clutch because i have been driving standards for 30 years and have never burned out a clutch....I am not a speed demon or racer and have been accused of being a granny driver because I take it easy on my vehicles. I have always thought they were a tool and I take care of my tools, not trash them.
sorry, got longwinded. I cant wait to see if this works. I mentioned the linkage bushings(which i read about in here), but they just stared and me and said hmmmm....
Old 17 Jul 2009, 10:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Can't see linkage/bushings being temp related, and even clutch - sure seems like the fluid in gearbox to me...
Old 18 Jul 2009, 06:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

I work at a Chrysler dealership,and remember changing only a couple of PT clutches.The more common problem is the clutch hydraulics,and they would be affected by heat.
The clutch hydraulics are a sealed unit,and I don't believe they could be bled.If the selling dealer found a way to siphon the old fluid out and refill the system,there could be air trapped in the system,thus stopping full travel of the master and slave pistons.
Clark
PS:BTW,my personal car is a 2006 PT Touring,54,000 miles,with the T350 5-speed manual.I have had no issues with mine.

Last edited by clarkg1124; 18 Jul 2009 at 06:44 am.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 02:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I wondered about the clutch master cylinder being shared with the brakes. I personally thought that was some d&%a#@ engineers wonderul idea to save space...I think engineers should spend some time in mechanic shop to gain an appreciation for what is needed to make a vehicle both aesthetic and easy to work on......

I think i already mentioned cleaning the cap of the hydraulic reservoir because I noticed a small leak coming from it.

Thanks for everyones input...i will post what ultimately happens...