PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another overheating/fan or sensor problem! Yay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2009, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another overheating/fan or sensor problem! Yay?

New to the forum here, but, hello!

My name is Mina, and I have a 2002 LE PT Cruiser. A few weeks ago, I had an issue with my thermostat; it failed in the off position and my PT overheated. So I got a fail safe thermostat, so that if it did it again, it's at least fail in the open position.

Everything's been fine for a couple of weeks, but now it looks like my fan is also not running. I know it has the two speed-fan, and I wonder now if my fan is short-circuiting. It happened yesterday; I live in Florida, so it's hotter than all get-out here and I was stuck in traffic at a stand still.

I noticed my temp. gauge started to rise, so I pulled off into the nearest parking lot, turned it off, let my car sit for about twenty minutes. I then turned off my A/C, and my temperature gauge was normal. (It has stayed on the half mark since the day I bought it.)

I continued on my way to my destination with the windows down and the AC off and it was fine. I drove home a few hours later, and no problems at all. And this morning, I drove to work, had the AC on, and everything was fine.

So, do you all think it maybe my PCM, my relays, or the fan motor not kicking in? The problem has not come back since yesterday afternoon.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another overheating/fan or sensor problem! Yay?

Mina, welcome to the forum.

It could be any one of the things you mentioned.

When you went to work did you have any stops that lasted for about 3-5 minutes where it would start to overheat? If the fan isn't working it will take a few minutes before the temperature guage starts to rise. As long as your moving, air (even our hot Florida air) is going through the front of the car and cooling things off. Even if the fan was working, it shuts off at 35mph as it's not needed with the amount of air going through the front.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the welcome!

As for the staying in one place for 3 to 5 minutes-- I want to say I probably did last night at a few stop lights, but no where near the slow crawl it was when the overheating problem started.

In the morning, I get up so early for work, traffic delays aren't really an issue. I will, however, see if it happens in traffic coming home tonight; I know there will be a 3-5 minute delays... and longer... getting back home.

I shall report back with what I find out! Thanks SO much for answering. I did buy the PT Cruiser "fix-it" book, and I do have AAA towing, so I feel safer driving home, just in case. From what others have told me, they all say it sounds like my PCM, but since my A/C is working, I have my doubts.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Zombiess
Angry Re: Another overheating/fan or sensor problem! Yay?

Oh, I know what you mean. I just got mine back from the Dealer that I bought it from after they "fixed" it, and it STILL OVERHEATS! I'm going to take it back for a refund of my money and if they deny, I WILL sue! For one, they sold me a broken car, and after they "fixed" it, it does the same thing. Up hills and down hills made it almost in the red! They put myself, my fiance and my best friend in danger since something could have exploded.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 02:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiess View Post
Oh, I know what you mean. I just got mine back from the Dealer that I bought it from after they "fixed" it, and it STILL OVERHEATS! I'm going to take it back for a refund of my money and if they deny, I WILL sue! For one, they sold me a broken car, and after they "fixed" it, it does the same thing. Up hills and down hills made it almost in the red! They put myself, my fiance and my best friend in danger since something could have exploded.
This issue is new on my car; I'm hoping I don't have to take it back to the dealer. They tend to give me the run-around with my warranty. It -sounds- like something I can make right. I can't explain it, but I have a positive feeling. I don't know...

I do hope your situation evens out though; it sounds unbelievably frustrating.

I love my PT, named it Petey (and not because I am clever), and it's the best car I've ever had. I just want to get this whole mess fixed.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 02:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Zombiess

I love mine also, his name is Potato. I would LOVE to keep him, but if they can't fix him the first time, I can't stand around and wait for the car to be fixed. I'm trying to get a job, and I'm going to College in the fall. I need a reliable car that won't have any problems. Since he wasn't fixed the first time, I can't wait around until he's finally fixed.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 05:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Okay! Got home and...

So I drove home, with the A/C on, and for most of the drive home, the temp was fine. I was delayed by traffic for more then 3-5 minutes, but the temperature stayed the same. For the last two streets though, the temperature gauge started to rise slowly.

I turned off my A/C and the gauge went down pretty quick. So it got me thinking, and when I was safely in my neighborhood, I turned the A/C back on. The temperature gauge, after a few minutes, started to rise back up.

At this point I was in my drive way, so I turned the car off and came on my laptop to 'report'.

So it looks like it's either the PCM, the sensor, or the fan itself. I'm going to take it in to a guy my mom recommended. I hope he can help me out here....

Anyone know, off hand, what I might be looking at in repair costs? If it is the PCM, and they have to reset the code, I have no clue what they charge for that, and if it's the fan itself, I've heard close to 600.

Last edited by Faerie_Speak; 16 Jul 2009 at 05:53 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you mean flash the computer, I believe only the dealer can do that, about an hours labor time. The fan is about $400 at the dealer and I don't know if that includes the price of the fan and housing. The dealer charges sometime twice the price of an outside mechanic so you can save a bundle at the guy your mom recommended.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hmmm... Thanks for all your advice. I'll be going there tomorrow morning, first thing, and see what he says. Hopefully, it'll be okay....
Old 17 Jul 2009, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Solution!

Turns out it was my fan! It was working when it felt like it. Sadly, it's an expensive part to replace, but at least it's fixable.

Thanks for everyone's help!