PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Will not go past 40mph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2009, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Will not go past 40mph

Hello all.

I put the cruise back together and took it for a spin. No codes showed up after 2 trips and it still did not exceed 40 mph. When I accelerate the tachometer does not go above 2000 rpm if it even goes up at all. I was going up the driveway, had it floored and the vehicle did not respond. It only cut out on me once, I waited, started it up again and continued home.
I have metered most of the PCM with 8w-30 and 8W31 information. So far to no avail.
If anyone else has any insight to this I appreciate it. I would to just throw parts at it to make it work, it basically defeats the troubleshooting process.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 01:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Will not go past 40mph

I tried doing an extensive search for your problem and came up almost empty. The only thing I found was from the Dodge truck forum, that one owner had that code (p0884 from your first post) and it turned out to be a weak battery. Don't think that will help you, but check to see if yours is putting out the correct voltage. Sounds like yours is in a "limp" mode which is what happens when the computer finds a fault that could get worse and doesn't want you to do any more harm by going too fast so it limits your speed.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you, I will meter the battery and if necessary I will put a new on in. The current one might be 3 years old, I cannot remember and it is cheaper than the PCM. The main thing that kept throwing me off was no "limp" mode code. Maybe the Solus scanner could not interpret it, I will find out tonight. Thank you for your help. I will repost the results tomorrow to let you know.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 09:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hooked everything back up and installed a new battery. Got it moving down the driveway (1500ft) turned onto the main road and it still did not go past 20mph. the engine shutdown as I was going up a steep hill. (trip one I guess). Coming back to the house I put it in neutral and cycled the key to the off position. This was about 5 seconds. Not much traffic goes down the road so it was safe. Cycled key on/run (Trip 2). Still did go above 20 mph. Repeated neutral/cycle trick once I hit the driveway but did not attempt to exceed 20 mph, fear off sudden engagement and smashing into a tree. Parked, cycled the PRNDL lever leaving it in each gear for 1 minute, cycled to park, let it idle for 5 minutes, no codes, turned it off and went inside to make a few calls and repost my results.
End result no dice on new battery. Someone mentioned timing belt, but honestly do not see the relationship between gear shifting and cam/crank position.
Thanks again you all for helping me. I will continue on with this endeavor.