PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Filter Restrictor Removal Questions

View Poll Results: Do you think removing the Air Filter Restrictor (White Reducer) is worth it?
YES 6 66.67%
NO 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2009, 09:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Air Filter Restrictor Removal Questions

Hi everyone,

I have asked a question once before and you guys have been great. I have another, possibly more serious question. Let me give you some background: I have a 2001 LE PT Cruiser with 120,000 miles. At this point, I do not want to be hard on any of the parts.

I became a member of the PTDoItYourSelf.Net site a few weeks ago. I have loved it so far. The guides are great. I have done a few mods, including the burp free shift mod. The most recent mod, however, I am not sure about.

According to the guide, they call it the Air Filter Restriction (also later the called the white reducer). Hopefully, you know what I am talking about.

I took out the Air Filter Restrictor and took it for a test drive. To me, it seemed fine. I let my dad take a test drive, and he says it seems boggly at low speeds. He also seems to think that taking this out could be hard on the pistons and cylinders and make the engine run lean. Are any of these things possible?

Depending on your answers, I will have a few more questions coming.

Thanks so much PT Cruiser Links!

Paul
Old 18 Jul 2009, 09:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Air Filter Restrictor Removal Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrosenthal View Post
Hi everyone,

I have asked a question once before and you guys have been great. I have another, possibly more serious question. Let me give you some background: I have a 2001 LE PT Cruiser with 120,000 miles. At this point, I do not want to be hard on any of the parts.

I became a member of the PTDoItYourSelf.Net site a few weeks ago. I have loved it so far. The guides are great. I have done a few mods, including the burp free shift mod. The most recent mod, however, I am not sure about.

According to the guide, they call it the Air Filter Restriction (also later the called the white reducer). Hopefully, you know what I am talking about.

I took out the Air Filter Restrictor and took it for a test drive. To me, it seemed fine. I let my dad take a test drive, and he says it seems boggly at low speeds. He also seems to think that taking this out could be hard on the pistons and cylinders and make the engine run lean. Are any of these things possible?

Depending on your answers, I will have a few more questions coming.

Thanks so much PT Cruiser Links!

Paul
It's a noise suppressor. Won't hurt either way.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 Jul 2009, 09:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hi Mean Green,

Thanks for your reply. From what I understood, it is more than just a noise suppressor. Obviously, I am probably wrong. Here is what PT Do It Yourself says:

Quote:
A number of PT & GT owners have removed the white plastic reducer lodged within the air inlet inside the air cleaner cover. Motor-Mike conducted a test approximately two years ago, which indicated that the restriction is nearly 33%. Removing the restriction allows more air to enter the engine and many owners claim (unmeasured) a minimal increase in throttle response and a better sounding exhaust.
Is there something that I don't understand ?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!!
Old 18 Jul 2009, 10:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrosenthal View Post
Hi Mean Green,

Thanks for your reply. From what I understood, it is more than just a noise suppressor. Obviously, I am probably wrong. Here is what PT Do It Yourself says:

Is there something that I don't understand ?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!!
For the automatic you might notice a bit quicker 1st to 2nd shift, but there is no performance gain. In fact, the computer learns of changes and goes right back to the parameters it was programmed with. I don't care if you shove a hurricane up the intake the parameters are still there. Chrysler only put it there to quiet the car down and not to hamper performance. I respect Motor Mike, BUT I don't feel the reducer is that small to cut airflow by 1/3.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 Jul 2009, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It quiets the intake by restricting the air entering.
More air is good for everything - except intake noise.
There are air flow sensors and an engine computer that adjust fuel delivery, so tell dad not to worry.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Jul 2009, 09:25 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I don't feel the reducer is that small to cut airflow by 1/3.
I agree. Look at the size of your throttle body and the size of the white reducer. I don't see a 33% difference there myself. That being said, I removed that white thing not long after getting my car. Now I just need to get up the ambition to modify the lower air box opening.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 06:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Which model PT's will it work on? I want to do this to my Touring Edition if its' possible.

Where is the write up for it?

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 19 Jul 2009, 07:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
Which model PT's will it work on? I want to do this to my Touring Edition if its' possible.

Where is the write up for it?
Well, if you are a member of the PT Do It Yourself site, they have a guide under OE modifications.

I cannot find the guide anywhere else and I don't think it would be legal for me to post this publicly. However, I will give the guide to whoever wants it if you PM me or email me.

Paul
Old 19 Jul 2009, 09:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Good deal thank you!

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 19 Jul 2009, 09:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
Good deal thank you!
Sent to your Private Messages account.

Tell me if you need it....

Paul