Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine rebuild. Advice...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2009, 10:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Engine rebuild. Advice...

I've decided to rebuild the engine and do some custom items on it like the intake, headers, etc... What I want to know is, while I'm rebuilding the engine, is there any way i can amp up the compression ratio cause I'm looking at the sebring and patriot's I-4, they have a 10.5:1, while us PT lovers are stuck with 9.5:1. And I've researched it and they have a different bore X stroke than the PT, and the displacement is different too, 2360cc sebring, 2429cc PT. So parts I'm looking for are obviously aren't going to be an easy engine swap bit. So what do I do?
Old 18 Jul 2009, 11:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine rebuild. Advice...

You can have a shop "shave" the head - mill some off the head - that'll raise compression ratio.
While you're at it, get turbo connecting rods - they're stronger.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Jul 2009, 03:46 am
Young Cruiser

I hope your talking about milling off the top, cause milling off the side would widen the gap between the head and the cylinder wall.- It's an 01, with 101k miles, are the turbo lifts gonna be easy to swap transfer over to a non-turbo engine?
Old 19 Jul 2009, 03:49 am
Young Cruiser

What about the camshafts, any chance at finding some performance ones, or am I going to have to pull them from a neon? are the connecting rods from the turbo going to be the same length as the non-turbo?
Old 19 Jul 2009, 07:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you're serious, you should go to PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it. - there are more gearheads there who have gone inside the engine.
Most of us here know our limits....