Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
SKIM Fault?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2009, 07:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default SKIM Fault?

Big Hello from the UK, Guys! Have read some fab threads/posts and it seems to me that you guys know a hell of a lot more about Cruisers than the dealers over here! So...here's hoping you can help me out...!

Have a 2002 Touring CRD which I went to start the other day and got no response at all after the panels lit up. I notice that the 'theft alarm' light stays on so I guess the immobiliser has kicked in - but I have no idea why, or how to fix it. The dealer I got the car from says its a new one on him too! I have 2 sets of keys/fobs - both of which lock/unlock the car and light up the instrument panels - but then nowt, nothing, nada, bugger all (as we say here) - any ideas?? Love my Cruiser - very frustrating not to be able to take it out for a spin - they are still quite rare over here, and people smile and wave at you when you drive past!!

Here's hoping...
Old 19 Jul 2009, 07:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel
Smile Re: SKIM Fault?

hi there
welcome to the site . im from uk to and have a crd touring
when i 1st got mine i found that if you dont put clutch pedel all the way down car will not not start up even when its in neutral it as if there is a swicth conected to it hope this helps
if that fail disconect battery and let the ecu reset its self
Old 19 Jul 2009, 08:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: SKIM Fault?

Hi fastdel
Thanks for the reply - yeah, I got caught out the very first time I drove a diesel and no-one had told me about the vapour lock you can get if the clutch isn't all the way in - looked like a right numpty when the guy from the van hire place turned up after an hour, got in and started it first time...!!

Had considered the battery disconnect, but the dealer said not to do that under any circumstances?? Must admit not good with technical stuff when it comes to cars, so not sure - if I do disconnect the battery and the ecu resets, is there any danger of the fobs losing connection completely?
Old 19 Jul 2009, 08:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

no disconecting battery should be fine ive done it a few this now and its been fine
you will find battery under pasenger seat but dont try messing with it there as you will never manage to get wires back on lol
best place is to undo the contacts @ the jump start contact under the bonet near the bulk head just be carefull not to let posative wire touch anything i cover the ends
and leave it for about 10 mins this lets ecu reset
Old 19 Jul 2009, 08:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks buddy - will give it a go and let you know what happens!
Old 19 Jul 2009, 10:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi
Unfortunately no dice! Disconnected the 3 connections under the jump start contact point and left it a good half hour but the damn light still comes on and stays on!

Any other suggestions??! Please?!!
Old 19 Jul 2009, 10:34 am
Fanatic Cruiser

ye a big stick lol
how long have you had the car and was it from a dealer if so thay should be made to look @ it get it checked for you
Old 19 Jul 2009, 11:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

The thought of a sledgehammer is beginning to have a certain appeal... The car was bought second-hand from a Chrysler dealer some 4 years ago - rang them on Sat and got nowhere, though the 'bloke who knows about key coding' is back in on Monday...

I won't hold my breath. I do hear that something called the IOD fuse can be pulled under the hood to reset key transponder problems?
Old 20 Jul 2009, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A number of things pop up during a search. The ignition switch, starter or starter solenoid and last but not least, the battery. Did you try jump starting it?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Crewzin - thanks for getting back to me - much appreciated! No, not tried jump start - have just disconnected battery and reconnected to no avail, but will get a pal to bring up jump leads tomorrow to try it out. I've read a few posts suggesting that the battery in Cruisers doesn't have the greatest lifespan, and that diesels pull more juice from it than petrols - it's the original battery still in - maybe it needs replacing? Would that be likely to cause the immobiliser problem? Love my Cruiser but have to admit to being a bit of a duffer when it comes to anything other than the very simple forms of maintenance!!