Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating '01 Limited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2009, 07:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating '01 Limited

Back in June, my son and I had posted on here about my '01 Cruiser. It was overheating, so my husband took the head off and took it into the shop to have it checked. While the head was in the shop, he replaced the timing belt. The shop said that the head was fine, so it was replaced along with the gasket. My husband started the car, let it come up to temp. with the cap off of the radiator and it started blowing water back out of the radiator with force. Now he's so mad he wants me to sell the car and drive some piece of crap he bought. I haven't driven the car since May and I really miss my car.
When it was overheating you could turn on the heat and it would keep the temp down. What could be causing the "puking" problem and how I get it diagnosed without causing even more problems on the home front? Is it possible that the head is cracked and it didn't show up under a pressure test?
Thanks!
Old 19 Jul 2009, 11:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating '01 Limited

Mine did that after the fan quit and blew most of the water out,I was almost ready to pull the head but a couple of MGDraft's later I decided it had air trapped in the cooling system..It took a while and a lot of messing around but I FINALLY purged the air out of the cooling system and heater core,completely cleared it up.. It was puking water after running less than a minute to start with....
Old 20 Jul 2009, 08:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Have you tried cleaning up the rest of the cooling system? Flush the heater core and radiator, new thermostat, new radiator cap? That's all cheap stuff to start with. If the shop pressure-checked the head properly, they should have found cracks if there were any. If that does end up being the problem, there's a head on eBay for $400 that's been rebuilt and pressure-checked.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsidders View Post
Mine did that after the fan quit and blew most of the water out,I was almost ready to pull the head but a couple of MGDraft's later I decided it had air trapped in the cooling system..It took a while and a lot of messing around but I FINALLY purged the air out of the cooling system and heater core,completely cleared it up.. It was puking water after running less than a minute to start with....
What did you do to get the air out? I have read that you have to get the front of the car jacked up and let it run at fast idle and then turn on the heat, let it cool off and repeat several times. Is there a better way?
Old 20 Jul 2009, 08:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Get yourself one of these.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a bleed off valve below the neck of the radiator.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 21 Jul 2009, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
There is a bleed off valve below the neck of the radiator.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 01:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Mine doesn't have one of these....

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 21 Jul 2009, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsidders View Post
Mine doesn't have one of these....

Ed,

is yours a 2001 ??

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 01:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadutchgirl View Post
What did you do to get the air out? I have read that you have to get the front of the car jacked up and let it run at fast idle and then turn on the heat, let it cool off and repeat several times. Is there a better way?
Not really, The funnel someone else mentioned would be a big help , Mine doesn't have the bleed screw someone else posted either..I have a fairly steep personal boat ramp in my back yard that worked just right... part of the problem was air trapped in the low place between the catch bottle and the chamber under the radiator cap.I also loosened the top radiator hose until it ran water under some pressure....loosening cap would have worked but the Sam Adams was beginning to work on me..I don't remember anything else I did..
All this brought back memories of my old t-bucket hot rod with a 409 chevy,the radiator had to be filled thru the hose to get it full and I built a radiator cap assy with upper hose attachment on a thermostat housing plate to make it work..

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas